Honda CB750 Sandcast

Questions and pics of newly arrived sandcast

42barab · 64 · 15106

42barab

• View Profile
Question about the steering Lock:  Tried to use the steering lock and discovered that 2659 came with a plastic steering lock cover, but no steering lock.  I had bought a spare ignition key from a fellow in PA, who later sold me a NOS steering lock with keys.  Tried to install that with a key inserted and turned so that the locking pin was in line.  The tumbler wouldn't go in.  Looked at my 1973 to compare, but it has a different set up.  See attached pics.  What is the correct way to install the steering lock?  As seen in the pics, was the Sandcast steering lock housing on the frame different from that on later bikes?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The steering lock, if I recall, is held in place by the black plastic cover when not engaged. To install, slide the lock up and engage it locked. This will hold the lock in place so you can fit the black plastic cover
Yes the K0 is different to later models They have an additional round ring fitted to foil theft so the story goes.
Yabba Dabba KP

42barab

• View Profile
KP

I appreciate your feedback.  After applying a little cleaning, filing, and bending to the lock receptacle, the procedure you described worked like a charm.  Thanks

John

42barab

• View Profile
As an update, I've acquired a two-hole airbox and a speedometer, both taken off another Sandcast.  The airbox has been poorly repainted in silver and has two fractures; the speedo needs serious TLC.  I'm starting a new post to get some feedback for moving ahead.