Honda CB750 Sandcast

Stripping and Repairing Two Hole Airbox

42barab

• View Profile
Attached are pics of a newly acquired, silver-painted and fractured airbox.  To repair the fractures, I thought to try crazy glue or model airplane cement.  Then I found a previous post (authored by Steve Swan), who suggested a product called Fusor 143.  As you can imagine, the plastic has become very brittle, so I'm wondering if after being repaired and repainted, the airbox might crack again when used on the bike.  I think some members put repro or newer boxes on and keep the "good stuff" stored.   

The goal is to repair the airbox, strip the silver paint off, and at some point get it professionally repainted.  I would ask for feedback of the best repair product and/or procedure.  Also, can it be used on the bike or is it too fragile?
One other question concerns the rubber velocity stacks: can the silver paint be stripped and the rubber given a new life?  Thanks in advance.

John

42barab

• View Profile
Came across possible airbox issue.  On the bottom half, there are two wing-butted bolts coming through the plastic posts, each with a nut on the inside.  These two nuts (sounds like the opening line of a joke) have been made somewhat oblong, so that they cannot catch a thread to be be screwed off.  Is this factory?  If not, how to remove?  Vise grips wouldn't do it.  Thinking cut them off with dremel cutting wheel?  Thanks.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
These early boxes have the nuts deformed by the factory, and the method you suggest for removal is sound
Yabba Dabba KP

vnz00

• View Profile
You can carefully place the nuts in a vice as well and deform them back to shape. If the winged bolts don’t come out willingly then cut them off.

42barab

• View Profile
Thank you for the feedback.  I used the Dremel approach with success.  John