Honda CB750 Sandcast

Connector clear covers

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Anyone know where I can get the clear plastic sleeve (PVC?) that fits over Honda bullet terminals. I have made a tool to heat fuse them onto the cables (modified daughters old hair staighteners  ) I want to create the original look on my '69 UK K0 Iknow I can get heatshrink but it doesn't look right.

Also anyone know the ID of the black sleeve on the Sandcast / K0 that goes over the loom and into the headlamp? My guess is 16mm

imabass

• View Profile
take one to the local electronics store... not a radio shack but a place that sells all kinds of electrical componets for the DIY electronics gurus. thay may have what you are looking for. I was in one the other day for about 2 hours. I was like a kid in a candy store. I was restocking all my bulk connectors. These items are way cheaper than the radio shack type places.

Tony Wohlers

You can buy these male and female connectors by this Web shop in Germany far away from You. Louis has both the conn. and the tool to crimp on the wire/connector. He olso have multiconnectors.
Tony Denmark.

http://www.louis.de/_3069886e0e7c23fd3d6....cmd.x=7&cmd.y=1

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Thanks but I want to replicate the fused to the wire insulation so it looks like the factory ones

allandry

• View Profile
Hi, These guys might have what your looking for.I think they are in California. Al
http://www.vintageconnections.com/

Joe K

• View Profile

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Hello,

Maybe you are looking for these..... http://www.yamiya750e.com/index.php?main....products_id=492

I purchased them and they are great!

Thanks Joe - do you have a decent image of them - the Yamiya one is not very resolute and when i have asked them before for Hi-res images - something must get lost in the translation!!

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, These guys might have what your looking for.I think they are in California. Al
http://www.vintageconnections.com/

Hi Allan, Mate you are a savior. I've been trying to find this lot for a while now. Thanks KP
PS Good to see you are still with us 
Yabba Dabba KP

cb7504

• View Profile
Allan:
Thanks for posting the connector web site. I have been trying to locate these type items for quite some time. Marty K.

Joe K

• View Profile
Ashimotok0 (Name)?

If you click on the Yamiya image it will increase in size. I can tell you that they are what you need for your wire harness and everything else like gauges, turn signal lights, etc. They charge about $17.00 to ship it to California from Japan, which seems to be the minimum shipping rate, so if you add on a couple of more items that don't weigh that much then the shipping charge should remain about the same.

Take care,
Joe K.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Cheers Joe Its Ash (Ashley)- I was nicknamed Ashimoto at Uni by my biking mates as an amalgam of Hashimoto (a cartoon mouse) and Yoshimura????? they were all Brit bike riders and considered Hondas as 'Jap crap'

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cheers Joe Its Ash (Ashley)- I was nicknamed Ashimoto at Uni by my biking mates as an amalgam of Hashimoto (a cartoon mouse) and Yoshimura????? they were all Brit bike riders and considered Hondas as 'Jap crap'

They be eating their words now. No Brit bike of the day has held it's value as well as our Sandies  :D  K
Yabba Dabba KP

ashimotok0

• View Profile
He actually had an Ariel Arrow  !

Back to the clear covers. Please don't mock the following.

Bought a child's skipping rope which had PVC outer tube for 2 GBP. had it analyzed as well as a '69 Honda terminal cover and basically the same PVC except that the skipping rope one had a child friendly plasticizer in it. But the OD and ID were too big. Heated it up whilst stretching it to achieve a narrower OD and the right wall thickness, then quenched in cold water. Cleaned the bore with isopropanol and dried. Then used my daughters old hair crimpers and managed to fuse the sleeving end to a piece of old Honda loom cable (the temperature needs to be just right to soften the PVC but not degrade it). I just need to make the right heated aluminium platens on my lathe to give the correct profile. then they will look just like Honda 'fused to the wire covers' (female bit of bullet). I will post full details and pics when I have finished it.

I was born in the early 50's you know and we had a 'make do and mend' philosophy drummed into us in the UK !!

Ash D

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
This personal touch to our conversation is exactly what i hope to see ! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !

Ash, i had no idea you were from the British Isles, the beauty of computers (as much as i disdain them) is we get to talk to people we never otherwise could/would have. Anybody remember the "penpal" days of yesteryear ?

The internet gives us a fine opporrtunity to get to know each other and let me say without the computer, it is entirely probable not all the people who attended 2009 VMD would have been present. Meeting everyone in person was a pleasure and a privilege.

So, having a first name, we can get to know each other just a little bit better, it gives familiarity to a quite otherwise sterile communication medium.

Wow, Ashimoto, i cannot imagne living in Great Britain in the 60's and 70's and riding a Japanese motorcycle *and* living to tell about it !

In the day, here in the US, many new young riders could only afford the Japanese offerings. Or, Dad's buying their son their first bike, did not want to spend the money a "real motorcycle" cost. And, most Japanese bikes were smaller, did not go as fast and had a 'safety' factor.

Here, in the US, during the 50's and 60's, the culture was, "real men rode real motorcycles." You were either a Harley man or you were still grieving Indian had died. Many US Indian riders moved over to a British machine after Indian died in 1953 because they would not switch to Harley and the displaced Indian-now British riders were held in nearly as much disdain as some Japanese rider/owners later experienced. But, being there is always new blood a comin' and new products usually mean improved product, the rise and success of the Japanese motorcycle industry is now history.

I grew up on Yamaha's, had a BSA in between and then went to to CB750-4779. After 4779 was stolen Aug.1971, tender age of 19, i was crushed for a month. No CB750's available to buy - new or used. I went without a bike til April 72, when i got a new Sunflake Orange K2 and it was out of the box, immediately different and not all in a good way. The K2 lacked the visceral nature of the 69, the exhaust was so quiet, the sounds of the engine operating were louder than the exhaust.

I had purchased in high school a 1960 BSA Gold Star, which had seen it's better days and in 1972, at the Univ, i rode up on my XL250 and there was a 1959 Goldie parked, engine still warm ! WOW, was i stoked, somebody who not only owned a GS, but maybe could help me get mine together........ ! I read every magazine i could get and here in US, Sammy Tanner and Dick Mann raced Gold Stars and G50's, they were my heros, and any older motorcyclist one talked to was more than skeptical of the "Jap crap." So after, my blue-green 4779 was stolen, and the pipes almost immediately rotted out on the K2 and it was not as quick and handled not quite as well, my friend with the 59 Gold Star showed me his 'other' motorcycle - a 71 Combat Commando. I was smitten. I had a replacement to my stolen 4779. I remember the Norton dealer would not take the K2 in on trade, i had to sell it outright, which was very easy and so soon became the proud new owner of a Livery Black Commando 850, April 1974 ! And i will say, i rode my Commando 6 years, 20,000 very nearly trouble free miles. Nothing went wrong, i could not attend to. Of course, teh Commando required regular maintainence - that was what all "real" motorcycle owners did. Who in their right mind would own a fairly maintainence free Japanese bike ?

And, Ash........ my dear old Dad and Mom managed their way through the Great Depression, so everything was repaired, time and again.

Nice to learn the story behind the computer name you use !

Now, i of all people should know this forum is for sandcast/k0 only........ so i shan't say any more. But, nice to hear a little bit about you, none the less !

And, in closing, i will have to disagree with my good mate, KP about his statement "no Brit bike of the day has held it's value like our sandies............" A 69 or 70 Velo Thruxton fetches a very pretty penny, if you can find one !

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Hey what a brilliant reply Steve. I had a CB250K2 then, the other guys had an A10,Commando Interstate 750, tiger cub and a Vincent Rapide and of course the Ariel Arrow guy.

brilliant site BTW.

Best regards,

Ash D