Honda CB750 Sandcast

Reproduction gauges

42barab

• View Profile
Attached pics show face and drive of what has been described as a reproduced Honda type.  This unit came on 2659, which was restored in 2005.  As a reproduction, it doesn't seem to match any of Honda's original gauge designs - it has the face of a K0 or K1, but the drive of a K2 or later.  So I'm assuming it was just a cheap approach to selling replacement gauges?  Feedback appreciated.  ThNks

John

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
yeah, i remember in years past some of us expressing angst over these near worthless gauges; i've had a couple.  i would not know where to begin looking for those old threads...  the drive is i "think" similar (not sure the same) to K4-5 era.  and i am certain your observation is correct, cost effective, cost containing as cheaper, more efficient ways were discovered to mfg'r parts made up complex sub-assemblies.  kind of interesting a gauge like that; decades earlier the engineering, manufacturing technology, and machines required to produce a gauge like that did not exist.  that gauge is a product of human and engineering evolution, one moment at a time over  the span of millenniums.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
These gauges are in fact made by the same company that made the original gauges for Honda. I suppose it can't really be called a reproduction as it was sold by Honda as a Honda part but it's certainly not the same as original. This type is found on the Kawasaki Z1 and I think are a next generation type for the part supplier. Mr Swan is correct in that they have cropped up in various markets from time to time.
Yabba Dabba KP

42barab

• View Profile
The good news is that it was sold by Honda.  Was the manufacturer Nippon Denso(ND)?  Not sure what I'll do with it.  Might keep it as a backup unit for 2659, or sell it after the bike is up and running.  I know it has no where near the value of a SC unit, and I would not try to sell it as such.  But I was wondering about its value, if any?  John

4pots1969

• View Profile
Hello :) It seems to me that these gauges equipped the CB750 K0 of the Police in Japan ??
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:25:53 am by 4pots1969 »

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
    • Buy High Quality CB750 gauge parts online!
These gauges are technically similar to the European 74-75 CB750K2 gauges. I guess these were replacement gauges for the sandcast/K0. Back then, they did not restore gauges, but replaced these when they broke. Nobody cared about originality.