Honda CB750 Sandcast

CAM/ROCKER COVERS

kp · 3 · 1084

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here are several different covers used on the Sandcast engines including the early "Waffle" cover. For those of you who followed Mark's frame 97 restoration you will see the early waffle cover depicted in that thread. Internally these early waffle covers were very different from later covers. Later cover have only subtle changes between each. Externally all these covers look more or less identical. The only difference of note is the font used on the early and mid run covers with the  later sandcast covers having a thicker font to others.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:56:51 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

vnz00

• View Profile
Just a note to add to this, some information provided by both KP and Steve Swan on the diamond waffle cover.

It seems a few known covers which have cropped up all have a weld to the end of the tacho cable screw boss.  It could possibly be a preventative measure to add more material to the area prior to boring/machining the thread, as opposed to a repair after cutting the thread.

Note also that the sandcast rocker covers have a thinner lip where the breather hose exits the rear of the cover, and I believe this continued to the end of the K0's.

I have posted pics also of the 'type 3' rocker cover, dated 30 April 69.  So this last sandcast / early diecast version came into production very quickly.  I have noted a 'type 2' rocker cover on a 55xx sandcast too, so as per the tokico calipers, you can get an early rocker cover on a later bike, but unlikely a later cover on an early bike, unless swapped out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:59:25 am by vnz00 »

vnz00

• View Profile
PS KP, I think your cover labelled 'March 69' in red is stamped as an April production.
The diamond waffle cover I posted pics of was stamped 44.3.24 for reference.