Honda CB750 Sandcast

Rear shock talk

Rddmm2 · 2 · 1366

Rddmm2

• View Profile
Hello all.  I wanted to disassemble my rear shocks for cleaning.  This led to a discussion.  It looks like my shocks are from a K2 or later since no black tops -  my bike is late model sandcast Vin 10068**.   I note that Yamiya sell a black top replica set, but they also list a rear 'short type' replica shock for 1969 that's all chrome like mine.   Did 'short type' exist in 1969? There seems to be a variety of different rear shocks found on restored sandcast projects.  For ex., recent mag 'Classic Bike' Honda CB750 50 yr anniversary article shows a sandcast with rear shocks with no chrome cap over spring.  I read some of your previous threads on this.  Anyway, what do you think. Are 'short type' replica shocks merely for the modern day vertically challenged or were they an option back in the day?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm not aware of any short type. This may be because the japanese rider is a short person (generally) so this would be a novel way of lowering the overall hight of the bike Yamiya also sell cutaway seats.
My view would be to source another original set or a used set. K0 and K1 use the same shock although the K1 shock has less coil winds on the spring. For the price of the replicas, for a few $$$ more you can buy the real deal NOS shock which come up from time to time. Add a set of Yamiya springs and you have what is a K0 shock. You can always use a genuine K0 spring and have it rechromed.
Yabba Dabba KP