Honda CB750 Sandcast

Paint Recommendations for the Sandcast Case

Joe K · 6 · 3944

Joe K

• View Profile
Hello,

Since it seems to be the consensus that the sandcast case and heads were painted, can anyone recommend paint and shade they have used?

Some suggestions that I am aware of are:

Eastwood products
Heat resistant aerosol can paint
2 stage heat resistant paint

Thank you for your help/suggestions,
Joe K

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I started following this thread over at SOHC4.net. I don't know how "correct" it is but he is doing a nice job by the looks of it. The paint brands and color are identified in the thread.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64283.0
[size=

Joe K

• View Profile
Wayne,

I just read the whole thread. Really cool. Thank you for sharing.

Joe

markb

• View Profile
I've used the Duplicolor DE1615 on two engines and have been satisfied.  But I had something happen that I should share.  I pulled one of my heads for some valve work and they put it in an oven at 350 degrees F. to replace the valve guides.  It turned the paint golden.  Not too big a deal really.  They bead blasted it and I'll just repaint it.  The engine should not even get close to that temp.  But I'm tempted to check out other paints for my current project.  Maybe over time at lower temps it still might discolor.  Just a heads-up.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mark
As I think about this and my experience with engines over the years I have my doubts that a paint will be found that will hold it's colour as temp's go up. The guarantee on high temp paints is that it will not crack, peel, bubble etc under the given temperature. In my automotive experience the first area we would see and engine discolour is on the heads, around the exhaust manifold. If you want to go way back it would also show on the intake manifold if the vehicle had a heat riser system to heat the choke coils. All heat related.

So having said that, if the paint does discolor a bit on those sandys that get ridden I don't see it as any more a big deal than the exhaust discoloring etc. It just shows you ride your bikes. Yep, would be nice if they stayed perfect but they don't. I justwent and look at my Harley. The grey is actually changing slightly on the head vs the rest of the engine. I will be watching to see if you come up with a better product.
[size=

Riccardo

• View Profile
For my engines, mounted on vin 1256 and 737, i've used this:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Honda-CB-500-550-750-Four-Motorlack-Set-Brilliantsilber-/290411719806?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item439de32c7e#ht_500wt_689

The engines was sandblasted with fine sand and the paint was done directly on the metal, without any type of base.

After about two years, i can say that the result is perfect and unchanged.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved