Honda CB750 Sandcast

Conrod Markings

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Anyone know if the early conrods have any weight and shell OD markings like the later ones and if it is compatible to use these conrods as a set with a later crankshaft. The manual says nothing about early cranks other than the crank had Japanese characters on the crank web instead of the letter marks. There are some funny notch marks on the K0 conrods. I have Plastigage to measure clearances.

Bet ChrisR knows!!

Cheers

Ash D

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Just got an LED light and magnifying glasses on the con rods:

Each con rod has a number of notches one notch for Con rod nearest Alternator, two notches for second conrod in etc.

Each conrod and its cap have marks on them (etched in) as follows

Q743 Cap Q743 conrod
Q776 Cap Q776 conrod
Q775 cap Q775 conrod
Q786 cap Q786 conrod

There another mark like a 7 - could this be the weight code?

Question is - can these conrods be safely used with a later crank?

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The early crank / conrods had Japanese markings, and are often VERY difficult to make out - There is a service bulletin (a Honda UK one I think, which I was given in pre-internet days) somewhere that gives the "translation" of these to equivalent western characters as per the parts list.
I will keep you posted.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I got this reply from 'Hondaman' (Mark Paris) on the SOHC4 site

Re: Markings on early CB750 cranks - FOUND THE MARKINGS
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:09:05 am »

The notches are unusual! I don't remember seeing those. Huh
With the lots-of-touch assembly that was done to the sandcast bikes, it would not surprise me to find out that they were matching rods to positions on the crank: a big (sales) deal was being made of how smooth the bikes were at the time (like they needed any more help to sell them...). As wrenches, we were flogged to balance the carbs every time a K0 stood still in our shop. Those 4 cables sure were a nuisance for that particular feature!

The "Q" codes you've found are much like the numbers that got stamped into the matched caps on the Rocker Towers: they indicate parts that have been matched in machining. Starting in the K1 series, or maybe during the early diecast engines, the weight codes became spread over the split in the rod caps so the extra match-markings were not needed, eliminating a step in production.

The "7" you found is an early weight code: they are usually "5", "6" or "7" so they don't get confused with the bearing/journal numbers of "1", "2", "3" / "A", "B", "C". Most of those came and went, mostly 'went' in the K5 and later engines. K3 lost them for a while, too, as I remember. And, they are hard to see! As the cranks got better in casting, the rods were used to offset the variances in the flyweights instead of trying to match the weights. This is one big reason why the engines after K2 were not as smooth as the legendary "old factory" K0/K1 engines. If you don't have the markings on the crankshaft, it's not very simple to balance the rod weights with the crank!

ByranJ: there were Katakana characters on the very early crankshafts (and rod weight codes), and in a few other places, too. They became "normal" characters pretty quickly for exported bikes, though. I have seen the pictographics on bikes that were bought in Japan, too!
Chris R.
302/338