Honda CB750 Sandcast

Should i drill clutch basket holes

Rddmm2 · 3 · 1170

Rddmm2

• View Profile
Hi all,
My clutch was a bit grabby when hot, so i removed it and cleaned and roughed up the friction plates and soaked them in 20w 50 oil.  I also wanted to drill extra holes in the clutch basket to improve oil flow but discovered that it has no circulation holes.  Perhaps only the later cb750's had pre-drilled holes from the factory?   Has anyone else done the 'hondaman' suggested mod and drilled holes in their clutch basket to improve performance?  I'm a bit reluctant to drill holes in an original part but will consider doing it if its a common modification.   It's a late model sandcast and a Sunday runner re  10068**.  Thanks.

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a 6000 series daily driver as well.

I would replace your friction disks before i would make permanent modification to a very nice original bike.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Rddmm2

• View Profile
Thanks for reply.  Yeah, i'll take that advice.  Wasn't sure how common the mod would be for a 69.
I wonder when Honda started to pre-drill holes. 
In meantime, i re-installed old 'clean-up' clutch and a new cable.  Struggling getting the adjustment right.
I'll mess around with it again this weekend. 
BTW, riding my sandcast up and down the highway is easily one of the greatest joys of my motorcycle ridin life.  It runs sweet with a surprising amount of pull through the gears.  Much more than my 75 ever had.  I just can't stop smiling when riding this thing.  Too bad the snow is going to fly soon.   Cheers.