Honda CB750 Sandcast

HEADLIGHT BUCKETS

kp · 3 · 642

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Some years back we had a discussion on "Headlight Buckets" and the numbering inside the bucket. Early buckets had no numbers, later ones had 1 and later still had 2 and I believe even 3 was used. The replacement Red, Blue and Gold buckets sold as spare parts often had no number or a 1. No real answer was given as to what these numbers meant or what was correct. I think the consensus at the time was early original buckets had no number.
I recently went to my painter with 3 NOS buckets. One had no number, one had the number 1 and the third was a black bucket and had a number 2. When you look at these buckets individually the holes all look the same size, but line them up and measure them (as my painter did), you guessed it, they're all different size holes. Not by much but different size holes nevertheless, so I'm thinking this riddle of no-number, numbers 1 and 2  is just a type designation related to the modified design, in this case, the size hole in the bucket. Seems the size is proportional to the number, no number the smallest and the higher number, ie: 2, the largest. Others may have already known this, I didn't
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

DW69K0

• View Profile
Great information KP!
I have always assumed the no number buckets with the small round hole was for the Sandcast, and the design was changed to open up the hole for greater wiring clearance at some point in production.
Best,
DW

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Just had a look at some buckets that were to hand....
 Candy red, original to 1015286, no number, 41 x 35mm hole
 Candy Gold, unknown origin, no number, 41 x 35mm hole
 Black, original to K2, 2000613, no number, 41 x 35mm hole
Black, unknown origin, number 2, 47 x 40mm hole

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338