Honda CB750 Sandcast

Blue Green Paint - Color Variations

kp · 3 · 622

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think one of the ongoing arguments/debates/opinions with restorers is what color shade for candy blue/green and candy red is correct. For what it's worth, I actually don't think the colours were 100% the same throughout the 1969/70 production, but how many people come up and say that color is too light or too dark or even spot on.
I have just picked up my latest paint work in Candy Blue Green and wanted to compare it with the various NOS and original pieces I have. I have an early sandcast with 100% original blue green paint plus a half dozen NOS Honda side covers and a 2 NOS blue green headlight shells (one parts tag is dated 1969). My intent was to use the NOS side covers and headlight shell and have it all matched to them. Unfortunately the tank, which had the original paint, needed some repairs so couldn't be restored. We used the side covers, shells and under tank/emblems color shade to see what was the best match. After comparing colours and discussing with the painter it was decided to match to the 1969 headlight shell/original tank color. This shell was kept in its original box so we figured it would be the least affected by the sun even when compared to the tank. The side covers were all manufactured in different times. Anyway I decided to put this new paint set next to a NOS cover as well as a side cover from my early sandcast. This side cover had the original oil decal so I know it's original to the bike. Also the bike was kept under cover although it would have been subject to some color fade after 50 years.
The digital photo does alter the blue green colour slightly, but as these are all in the one digital shot, I'm thinking the shade variations are still seen.
The original cover has the badge attached and the NOS side cover is at the bottom. The NOS side cover is a little lighter as we saw at the paint shop whereas the original used side cover is very close, which makes me happy happy happy. I had that NOS shell as well as a NOS side cover repainted for this set. Can you believe anybody would paint an unused factory blue green side cover and shell  :(
I've also taken a photo of several NOS side covers to show how much the blue green color varies. Hope this is of interest
Yabba Dabba KP

DW69K0

• View Profile
As always, great insights KP!
I am attaching a pic of Sandcast 3223 original paint side cover, notice how much darker the paint is under the side emblem.. After 51 years, the paint under the unexposed emblem  has a darker hue.
I have a lot of NOS Candy Blue Green components, Tanks, (in box and wrapped in Honda bag), Airbox, fork ears, & side covers, that have never seen the light of day).
I think the NOS color is darker or it turns darker with age? Maybe the base coat darkens?
Yamiya's Candy BG paint is wonderful, but a shade lighter than my NOS items.
My thoughts on the topic.
Beat,
DW

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great info and comparisons. I do think that even NOS cover's aging will change the color somewhat. Honda used an acrylic lacquer and Yamiya's are a polyurethane.  Fifty year old acrylic lacquer will change appearance even if it never sees daylight. Especially with the plastic that honda used for the covers which allow more breathing than steel.

My only point is that a NOS cover with acrylic lacquer has aged and changed in appearance despite never being used.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608