Honda CB750 Sandcast

Rear shocks on a 1969

jaka · 22 · 2205

jaka

• View Profile
Hi!
When I removed the rear wheel on my 1969 sand cast to replace the old Dunlop K87 tire  I noticed that the rear shocks glided sligthly 5-7mm on the upper shock mount. Is that correct or is a two new rubber bushings needed? I assume the shocks should be right against the frame and the nut/washer/holding bracket and not lose as on my bike.
I have the washers and the left holding bracket is in place. Just curious why the shocks glide on the upper mount? -Any body ?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
sounds like a shock mount  Photo would be good
Yabba Dabba KP

jaka

• View Profile
Hi!
Here är two pictures of the upper shock mount.

jaka

• View Profile
Hi!
Seems that the first picture did not get through. -One more try.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:58:57 am by jaka »

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah. You have later shocks on there. The correct shocks for a sandcast have a black plastic sleeve under the spring and a black painted top eyelet. Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NOS-CB750-Set-Rear-Shocks-CB-750-CB750K0-K1-52400-300-020XW/223547203809?epid=1811838705&hash=item340c73a0e1:g:JYUAAOSwVL1WAyPu
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

DW69K0

• View Profile
Sam post is spot on.
Looks like the wrong shoulder bolts are installed on top mount as well.
DW

jaka

• View Profile
Hi!
Are my shocks for a K1 or K2 or later model?
So these from CMS in Holland would be more fitting?
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k0-four-1969-usa_model14346/cushion-set-rear-non_05240300010xw/#.X5fSXu17nIU
The shoulder bolt?? What should it look like?
And what about the coils on the shocks? Had the original CB 750 sand cast seven coils?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:43:30 pm by jaka »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Webike has them slightly cheaper again. Both companies are selling the same shocks and whilst these are close, they  are not an exact copy. If you don't care then it doesn't matter. I'm finding Webike are cheaper with shipping at the moment due to China virus but to the US the rates may be cheaper or similar, if so then follow  Sam's link and go with Yamiya
PS. Just checked Wow Yamiya shipping to the US is way better, not so to Australia
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:39:26 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

jaka

• View Profile
Hi!
Problem with buying from Japan is the High custom charges( 25%) on goods to Sweden
Buying from European companies is therfore much more favorable.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah! You're in Sweden. Well that does change things
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If you have a sandcast wouldn't you try and get original Honda either new or used. Just asking
Yabba Dabba KP

jaka

• View Profile
Hi!
Yeah! Sure I would like to get a set of original ones but is that possible today? I mean I both like to have the right shape but also  want them to function.

jaka

• View Profile
Hi!
Went to" Z1 Parts" and saw that they had two different shocks, both made to "sand cast " standards. One was exactly like the ones I have ,with aluminum upper mount (16mm) and six coil spring and the other like the one we have spoken about here ,with black upper mount (22mm) with seven coil spring.
How come there are two different shocks that re supposed to fit the CB 750 Sand cast frame? -Did Honda make two different frames, one with shorter rear upper shock mount and one with longer ?

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
All sandcast and diecast K0 bikes used the same shock through VIN CB750-1048752 according to the honda parts book. Don't trust Z1 and many ebay sellers when they label something as correct for a sandcast. Easy to do when there is no penalty for being wrong!

I have used this shock on a diecast in the past:

https://z1parts.net/sandcast-shocks-1969-honda-cb750/

It is ok, but not a great replica. The shock sold by Yamiya and others that KP pointed out is much closer to being correct. Original shocks are tough to find, but would be everyone's first choice!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:38:50 pm by Sam »
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608