Honda CB750 Sandcast

Repair v. overhaul

Frankly

• View Profile
I have a sandcast bike, frame #1080, engine #1246.  It ran perfectly when I parked it 40 years ago. I’ve pulled it out of the back corner of the garage, uncovered it and dusted it off.  The tentative plan is to get it running, take it out for a few rides, then pass it on.  (Tentative plan, meaning I may get hooked again then all bets are off.)  Some work will need to be done before attempting to start the engine.

The question is how far into the engine I should go.    At a minimum, clean out carbs.  Replace points, plugs, oil filter, and air filter.   Going further would involve pulling the head and grinding valves, pulling the cylinders to replace rings.  Further still would be to split the case and examine all those components. 

Would a potential buyer, prefer a bike with an engine that has been completely overhauled, polished, restored, or a essentially untouched engine with which they could do their own restoration work?  If I go to the extra expense of doing an overhaul versus minor repairs, can that expense be recovered in the sale price? 

I got some very good thoughts from one member of the group.  Interested as well with others’ ideas and thoughts as to various approaches.