Honda CB750 Sandcast

SC# 81/E63

acruz · 12 · 1396

acruz

• View Profile
This Thursday I finally got delivery of my first and probably only 2 number sandcast.  I bought this bike almost 6 months ago and finally got delivery 3 days ago.   It's not easy importing a bike from Mexico for some reason but Sam (Ujeni) had recommended his Customs Borker, Monique, and she was fantastic.  From the start of the process, she assured me that I would get my bike and she kept good on her promise.  I highly recommend her if you are thinking of importing a motorcycle into the US. 

I got to go over the bike this weekend and the bones of the bike are solid but it is missing a few key parts including a 19 liter tank, recessed ignition switch, hand controls, side covers, early master cylinder, two hole airbox, , and a few other parts that i'm probably forgetting.  I have a few of these parts from other bikes i have collected such as the recessed ignition switch and early master cylinder but I will need to find the other parts which I think is a fun but often frustrating part of this hobby. 

I plan to restore this bike, but will do so once I determine my plan of action and secure the necessary funds.  I'll post pics once i figure out how to,
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 03:47:22 am by acruz »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Even in that unrestored state Photos please Arnold
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Forgot to mention Arnold, Engine number is lower than frame number. Mr Beckley may want to know that given there are only a few about  ;D
Yabba Dabba KP

acruz

• View Profile
The seller gave me the original build sheet info for the sandcast.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 04:24:48 am by acruz »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Arnold, That is great info, so much so I doubt many will appreciate the significance of what you have. There has been speculation by many that production of the Sandcasts started in March 69. In fact if you listen to some members of the Sandcast & Diecast group such as Moose the Goose, they say the production commenced in March. Well I can tell you this is bull shit. The first CB750 (#1) was built on March 14 1969 if memory serves or any fucking day in March, this being to start testing and training of the production line and for the BIG press release of the first produced CB750. Big day and big event in Japan. Truth is building the first machine and actual production start up date are mutually exclusive events. Production never commenced until April "AND" your build sheet confirms this. I've never seen an actual build sheet of an early CB750 so you have a first. Well done Arnold, and this document must be preserved for posterity.
Now, you need to read some of the pages on this site about early bikes as there are some very very unique features of your bike that are only found on the earliest of the earliest. That swing arm is unique, the rear hub will be a no hole (very very rare) and the cam cover will be a waffle internal cast type. Frame will be a short tube type and several other very unique features not found on even later under 500 machines. Welcome to the club. enjoy what you have and ask for assistance from those that own these early bikes as there are a lot who don't know shit about these early bikes. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

acruz

• View Profile
Thanks Kp for the information.  This site has been my go to for information regarding sandcasts in general.  I have 2 sandcasts that I built out starting from finding and engine and the proper frame.  I built those to resemble the two prototype CB750's in Valley Green and in the Brighton prototype colors.  These two projects were mainly put together from original parts that I found and parts from yamiya.  With #63 and #633 however are mostly complete bikes with original frame and engine.  I will do a proper restoration and make these two in the ruby red and blue /green production colors. 

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice work on both bikes. 81 will need to be your crowning build. Strive to get 100% accuracy and yes, easier said than done. Simple things like using the correct spokes and nipples makes all the difference. Keep the group informed please even though this site has limited input from group members, it is the best place for recording and being informed Cheers
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Arnold. What a great find! It’ll be a bit of a tough road to find some of the things you need, but they’re out there somewhere. Would you consider documenting your project here on a dedicated thread such as Mark did for 97/100? It’s a bit of extra work for you however I’m sure the community would greatly appreciate seeing every detail of  this restoration.
[size=

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Do you have an early hand machined MC cap Furken rare and luscious.  :P Top and bottom left.

Yabba Dabba KP

kmb69

• View Profile
Forgot to mention Arnold, Engine number is lower than frame number. Mr Beckley may want to know that given there are only a few about  ;D

Very true! My VIN 33 has EIN 69. The factory must have been having to rework/rebuild some engines??

Prospect

• View Profile
What an incredible find.  I'd love to hear the story of how you found it. Yes, please document your restoration process if you're able.
Vin 256/106

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Congrats Arn! One of the best sandcast finds in years! The site will hugely benefit from documentation of what you find as you tear into the restoration. Lots to learn and confirm!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608