Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast #173 back alive!

Chip · 28 · 2887

Chip

• View Profile
Hi all! Thought I’d make a post and introduce myself! I own a couple sandcasts fully restored later one and I recently picked up #173 that had been left to languish since about 1991! After much work she’s a runner and will probably stay a patina queen for the foreseeable future while I enjoy it on the back roads of Vermont! Gotta say this is a fantastic site!
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
Few photos!
As found, and out for a cruise enjoying the scenery!
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
Sorry the pics are sideways not sure how to fix that...
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
Here’s a few photos of the carbs before and after!  Tank cleaned up well too!
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
Couple more!
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
And the other one that doesn’t get out much!
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Man what a great machine I just love it. Whatever you do, don't sell, remove or trash anything from that low number gem. Unique parts will include the 19l tank, rear hub, swing arm, instruments, mirrors, switches, engine parts and on and on Very unique parts to these low numbered machines. Enjoy it while you have her  :)
Yabba Dabba KP

Chip

• View Profile
Hi KP! Don’t worry everything I’ve removed including the rusty front brake line has been saved in a box! I realize these early machines are quite different, it’s neat to put my later one, which was almost near the end of production next to this one and look for subtle differences!
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

acruz

• View Profile
Nice survivor Chip! I always love to see these early cb750’s back on the road! When you get a chance  could you please post more pictures of your early bike. Like Kp said, you will have some of the rarest parts on your bike due to its early vin.  Also what is the number on your other Sandcast?  Congrats and welcome.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome to the site Chip. I rotated your images for you. Unfortunately I can’t modify them within your posts.
[size=

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Chip
Very nice survivor - ride and enjoy!
Any chance you would share the engine number?

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Chip

• View Profile
I posted it to the registry I believe, frame #173 and engine is #501

Thanks Wayne for rotating my pictures! And happy to post more photos of anything people might be curious of!

I’ve put about 75 miles on it now, big thing to do I think is I need to repair the pipes on cylinders #3&4 as they are rotted out right before muffler in typical spot, I thought of buying some repops from yamiya but I’d have to leave them out in the rain for a few months to match the patina of this thing so I think I’ll just weld in some metal and try to make it look as original as possible until I can find a couple used/worn looking no number pipes which with the scarcity might be never lol
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:44:24 am by Chip »
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
Nice survivor Chip! I always love to see these early cb750’s back on the road! When you get a chance  could you please post more pictures of your early bike. Like Kp said, you will have some of the rarest parts on your bike due to its early vin.  Also what is the number on your other Sandcast?  Congrats and welcome.

Thanks! And other bike is frame #6494 and engine #6997
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
Enjoyed a little time outside in the fresh air today fixing a few things on the bike, in an effort to keep it as original as possible I patched the pipes, not my best work but much quieter and will do what I need. May at a later date buy a set of the yamiya pipes but I feel better knowing these were the original pipes on the bike even if they’re not the nicest they match the patina pretty well. I also got caught in a pop up sprinkle while wrenching away, and when I was done started the bike and turned on the fuel and got a zap from touching the petcock, I thought I was hallucinating or something, and I touched it again and got another zappppp! I believe the coil may have gotten wet when I had tank off to weld and maybe touched the tank slightly with it back on. No problem when I bought the bike it came with two NOS Honda coils so I swapped those on and no more tingly fingers when turning fuel on or off with bike running.
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
Few more pics! I figured I’d keep this thread updated with what I do to the bike, if it should be moved to a different section of the forum by a moderator that’s totally fine!
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494