Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast #173 back alive!

Chip · 28 · 2892

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Notice anything different with your oil tank decal  ;)
Yabba Dabba KP

Chip

• View Profile
Notice anything different with your oil tank decal  ;)

I did! That’s pretty neat!  ;)
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

vnz00

• View Profile
Hi Chip, good work getting her running again.
I was watching this one with interest when it came up for sale.  If you check the registry, one of my pals has 540/173 which is a similarly, if reversed, situation to your VIN and Eng no's.
Just wondering if your bike came with the horizontal vent carbs (I did note the long choke arm)?
Also, would you mind sharing the numbers stamped near the drive sprocket on each half of the engine case please?
Its a good example how Honda didnt strictly stick to the VIN / Engine gap that seems to be common lore amongst many people now.
Thanks.

Chip

• View Profile
Hi VNZ00! I’ll try to get some more info/photos this weekend! Happy to help!
-Chip
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
So it would appear it does have the horizontal vent carbs, and the numbers stamped on case halves by sprocket say 975 on both sides, what does that mean?
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Chip

• View Profile
Also has this really cool vacuum gauge to vacuum synch the carbs which works real nice, put new vacuum lines on it and away we went!
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Also has this really cool vacuum gauge to vacuum synch the carbs which works real nice, put new vacuum lines on it and away we went!

Bowman gauge. Nice!
[size=

acruz

• View Profile
How does that gauge work?  Does this allow you to sync the carbs?

Chip

• View Profile
Yes, nice and easy on the fly carb synching! Works great!
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

vnz00

• View Profile
So it would appear it does have the horizontal vent carbs, and the numbers stamped on case halves by sprocket say 975 on both sides, what does that mean?

Hi Chip, sorry for the delayed reply.  Ive been curious about the numbers (sequence numbers) you posted a pic of for a while and thought of them as a better indicator of when the engines were assembled.  For reference, my friends engine #173 has a sequence number in the 8xx range (VIN #540).  Another engine #17x I have pics of has a sequence number in the 2xx range.  So the engines were likely produced, tested and later assigned an engine number.  Eng #173 was likely produced around the same time as your engine, but assigned an earlier engine number, one from an engine which perhaps didnt pass inspection.  VIN 540/173 was built with engine and frame parts in the VIN 5xx range though (no horizontal vent carbs).  Your engine however is a later engine number, but given the horizontal vent carbs were only used on the first few hundred bikes, It may be that the engine originally assigned to your frame at the factory didnt pass inspection and Honda transferred the earlier parts to a later engine and then installed that into your early frame.

It would be interesting to know also if your engine has the early waffle cover too, which might suggest that Honda transferred all the parts from an earlier engine to your cases.

In any case, no reason to doubt the pairing.  There's been quite a few instances of larger VIN/Engine number gaps on early bikes and when you take into consideration the sequence number rather than the actual engine number, it brings a little more clarity.  Thanks for replying.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 06:15:41 pm by vnz00 »

Chip

• View Profile
Very interesting! Thanks for elaborating that makes a lot of sense. I could pull the valve cover and see if it has the waffle pattern this winter and report back, can the cover be pulled with engine in bike? I have no reason to remove the engine as it’s running great currently, no leaks even amazingly!  (Quickly knocks on wood)
Sandcast #173
Sandcast #6494

vnz00

• View Profile
Hi Chip, I think it might be easier to look through an inspection cap or two with a good torch, rather than remove the rocker cover in frame.  I think it is possible but best avoided in your case so you can keep it sealed up!

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Steven
Many years ago I had #1256 / E665 which was known to be factory correct / original. It had horizontal vent carbs on it. Factory assembly pictures show the engines to have the carbs attached BEFORE being fitted into the frame, so engine number rather than frame number may be a better indicator as to which carb types are correct. That said, early engines held back  for re-work and so fitted in later frames may of course end up with later carb types fitted?
Just my observations / speculation.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338