Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast and K0 Shockies HELP!

kp · 7 · 3711

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Guys, Anyone out there know if an early shock absorber can be dismantled and if so how? Or is this secret squirrell business KP  :-\
Yabba Dabba KP

736cc

• View Profile
Piece-o'-cake, all you need is a shock spring compressor press. All competent auto and mc repair shops have them. Place shock in press, turn the crank to compress the spring which releases pressure on shroud allowing the top clip to be removed. Now you can remove the K1 spring and replace it w/ a K0 spring. All individual parts maybe available new from DSS but a complete assembled K0 shock n/a. K1 shocks still available assembled from DSS last time I looked. Those Decarbon stickers I'm still looking for, though.  :'(

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Guys, silly me didn't make myself clear. I actually want to know how to disassemble the tube from the rod so I can rechrome the rusty bits and possibly renew the insides ......... Can it be done KP  :'(
Yabba Dabba KP

chrisnoel

• View Profile
I demolished a similar shock to test that theory. The answer is NO!

I was abble to get the nut off the bottom that holds the rod into the shock but thier is no way to turn that threaded rod out. Then just to make sure of what was going on inside I thought I would cut it open and get it appart one way or another. A few secconds later I was cleaning oil off the other side of my garage. The preasure in those things can not be restored even if you could get it appart.

Basically I just cleaned up my old shocks as much as possible, but thier days are numbered till I buy new ones.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Chris,

I've never examined one of those shocks, at least so as to study the possibility for dis-assembly, so i am not familiar with their construction.

BUT, i wonder, could that shaft have a LH thread - instead of a RH thread ?

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Its a regular thread, but you have nothing to grab. The rod is built into the shock. The only thing I could think of is cutting a slot into the bottom of it and trying to turn it out that way.

I just sanded as much rust off of mine as possible and figured no one would ever see the rest once I put it back together. I don't believe the factory ever painted them bassed on the same theory.