Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast on Sale on Ebay

Joe K · 20 · 5727

Joe K

• View Profile
A nice original sandcast is up for sale on Ebay. 

It will be interesting to see how much it gets.  Doesn't have a reserve.  Hopefully they won't pull the bike off the auction before it ends.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB-1969-Honda-CB-750-Sandcast-/130389305891?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1e5bceea23#v4-34

Joe K.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wow! For a non restored that's one nice machine. Is it possible that the exhaust etc. are really original? It's pretty clean looking for a 41 year old bike, non restored. Maybe I'm justused to everything deterorating before our eyes up here in Canada.  :'( It would be nice to see the auction go to the end. The one that was listed last week as a 1970 closed at 10 K, reserve not met and has not resurfaced.  ???
[size=

1941wld

• View Profile
Some things are very strange on this bike. First note is that the rear turn signals are wrong for the sandcast. Secondly note the highly polished bottom front fork legs, they just did not come that way, plus the clear coat should have turned slightly yellow. that is just my thoughts right off the bat. There are a few other things, I'll let some of ya'll come up with the next "Pick It A Part". Now remember this bike is original.

markb

• View Profile
The "bumper". the bar that goes behind the seat and over the rear fender is definately not original, first used on K2's I think.  And something doesn't look quite right on the rear footpegs, they look round to me.
Mark
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:51:37 am by mark1b »
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hard to tell in picture but the mirror appears to only have a single logo on the stem side. Also, does the engine VIN stamp not look poorly done? I looked at mine again on 748 and it's striaght and clean. Notice the owner did not post the frame VIN pic? Has anyone ever tried getting away with using unstamped sandcast cases and trying to put numbers to them? Just curious.

I'm certainly not a sandcast expert. As a matter of fact I'm very new to the sandcast game. I would say however that this bike is what I would call refurbised and may not be correct. I would be asking more questions and looking for deatails before shelling out the big bucks on this one. Just my opinion.
[size=

markb

• View Profile
I'm not an expert either but I agree it looks fishy.  Just the the things that are wrong indicates that he doesn't know sandcasts at the very least.  I would guess someone has tried stamping a number on unstamped cases but if the numbers were the same as damaged cases would that be OK?  I'm thinking not.  I checked and the frame and engine numbers weren't listed on the SOOC VIN directory or registry so if it's legit it's a previously unknown one.  Not that it couldn't be but when I bought both of mine they were listed so I was more comfortable about them being for real.  I see he's in the bay area.  If one were interested in it, maybe they could have Vic World go by and check it out.
Mark
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:54:39 am by mark1b »
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Joe K

• View Profile
I looked closely over the bike as best I could and did not see anything that looked unusual.  I didn't see any problems with the frame or engine vin from the photo's.  I have asked the seller to provide close up shots of the engine and frame stamps as well as indicate if either has been changed out.  As for the rear turn signal lights, they have been modified with a later CB750 light and bar system, but could easily be converted back to original.  The recessed ignition is there, exhaust shields, chain guard, double cut fender.  I will ask him to clarify the originality of those parts too.

Joe K.

Joe K

• View Profile
Well, I received word back from the seller of the sandcast and he told me that the engine and frame are original as well as the carbs, gauges and double cut front fender.  That is good news.  I asked him to update his listing with that information and take closer photo's of the engine vin and frame vin.  I hope it get's a lot of money.  It would be good for all of us sandcast owner's to show market strength of the bike.

Joe K.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hopefully the slow US economy won't hinder this sale Joe. A friend of mine in FL says he can get me low mileage cutoms, some built for 30 - 35 K for as low as 9 - 10 K. People are really hurting in some areas.
[size=

Joe K

• View Profile
I agree.  I hope the economy doesn't hurt the sale of the bike.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bidding has stalled at $11,100.00. The "snipers" are waiting in the wings on this one.  ;)
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well, did anyone on here win this baby for a mere $16,850.00??
[size=