Honda CB750 Sandcast

Oil filter cover

chrisnoel · 63 · 24658

vnz00

• View Profile
In the end this is how I finished my cover off:
Satin Finish, with polish marks showing
Clear coated
Porosity Still Visible where difficult to polish, and slightly to the polished surfaces.

Mine still had an area near the bolt which I believe to be a casting imperfection rather than road blast.  There was no other consistent road blast on that surface so I left it after polishing.  Notice similar features in the shouldered area for the oil ring groove.

Regards,
Steven

vnz00

• View Profile
Just a little further info on the round oil filter covers.

Two low number engines on ebay recently sparked my interest. One was a chopper with a mid 400s engine number. The other is the current mid 800's engine and matching frame parted out on ebay.

Both have had the later carb recall performed on them, however the round oil filter covers and (on at least one) the 14mm oil filter cover bolt remained. So Id say the round oil filter cover was never considered 'faulty' or targeted for factory recall.

So I'm surmising that the oil filter cover which was targeted is the early finned cover, without internal reinforcing.

Here are the pics of the chopper engine and the carbs and oil filter cover currently on ebay so the thread has a little more reference pics:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:27:54 pm by vnz00 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
One thing I can add is that I bought the oil filter bolt from digidave and it arrived yesterday. I can only assume this 14mm oil filter bolt was original kit with this engine. I also bought the no internal rib oil filter housing. This housing is consistent with similar housings I have acquired from mid number sandcast engines. I assume therefore that the 14mm oil filter bolt was certainly standard kit on engines up to at least 3134. In 92 distinctions this bolt is recorded to E4148 so nothing astounding there I suppose but it is interesting that some bikes had this bolt replaced whilst some didn't. Maybe a dealer thing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:06:24 am by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP