Honda CB750 Sandcast

Oil filter cover

chrisnoel · 63 · 24706

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Bob "Guest"

I have an additional question i'd like to throw into the mix. I have an oil filter cover that looks identical to the non finned type in shape, except that it has fins on it. They are shallow compared to the later type and do not completley surround the out side. It does have the two tabs on it to keep from rotating when tightened. There is no indication the fins have been turned down for appearances sake. And there aren't any reinforcment ribs inside. Aftermarket?

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Don't really know Bob. Maybee it is not a CB750 cover. It might fit the same and cover the same size filter but it could be from another model. Turn off the fins and blast it. What have you got to loose.

Do early sandcast motors that never came with a fin type filter have the two little nubs that keep the fin type filters from rotating when tightened?

736cc

• View Profile
Bob's oddball cover sounds like its from another Honda, too bad a pic can't be posted here.
The smooth covers don't have locating nubs; they're much easier to install, too. Spin it on.

cb7504

• View Profile
The round oil filter housing with the low profile fins and allignment tabs is from a Honda CX 500 or CX 650 also a silver wing has the same housing.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by cnoel "Guest"

I'm refering to the engine case itself. Mine has two little tabs to keep the oil filter in place. Do earlier sandcasts have these tabs?

cb7504

• View Profile
Chris of all my motors with both lower and higher vin numbers than yours. They all have the little tabs where the oil filter housing would lock into place.

markb

• View Profile
Anyone have any experience with the smooth oil filter cover available from Yamiya?
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Riccardo

• View Profile
Yes, i purchased one many months ago.

Yamiya sell the oil filter cover in the status as it comes off from casting.

Really it's turner only in 2 points, in the housing of the o-ring gasket and in the housing of the bolt, on the top face where the bolt go in.

It's necessary:

a)turner the oil cover in the superior part to do the same angle of the diagonal circle;
b)brush and polish it to have an oil cover like the original.

At the end, it's nice.

Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There are a number of variations of oil bowl from other models which will fit a CB750, and have I believe the  locating pip for the crankcase lugs.  Early Goldwing and CX500 come to mind, and I believe had some external / shallow  fins. Sandcast crankcases of course have the two locating lugs, yet the early round bowl had no corresponding piece.
There does seem to be some debate about the correct round bowl finish, with reference being made to trying to achieve the cast finish by blasting, use of silver paint, etc, and I seem to recall the Yamiya repros to come with a "dull" finish.

Picture of original bowl from #302 attached. Clearly not externally sandcast, nor painted. When found, the bikes had less than 10,000 miles  showing, had been un-used for 30 years and was VERY original. The "patina" (read crazed clearcoat) was the same on the oil bowl as on the various clearcoated engine covers, but with a touch of gravel rash off the front tyre.
For me the only correct finish (for #302 at least) was the same as on the other clearcoated engine covers.
I also seem to recall that some of the factory literature shows a bright, polished finish to the bowl.

Perhaps like other parts, different finishes came with different batches of parts?

A couple of repros I have made from damaged finned bowls have been done on a lathe. Only trick is to get it to spin true (I made a mounting hub up) so that you machine an even amount of all areas. other than that its straight forward to do (if of course you can access a machine shop!)

Cheers all.
Chris R.
302/338

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
And this time with the picture, I hope!
Chris R.
302/338

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Oil filter cover with ribs inside and the fins inside turned off just sold for $150.00 on FleaBay.  Gee's, if people are willing to pay that much for incorrect forgeries I should use duct tape to make a recessed lip on an ignition and see what I get for it. 

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I saw that as well and thought, that just isn't right! Oh well, to each his own I guess. Recessed ignition switches are now fetching over 400.00!
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Oil filter cover with ribs inside and the fins inside turned off just sold for $150.00 on FleaBay.  Gee's, if people are willing to pay that much for incorrect forgeries I should use duct tape to make a recessed lip on an ignition and see what I get for it. 
Just curious, how do you know it's a forgery?  Didn't the later smoth oil covers have ribs inside?
Mark
Mark B

markb

• View Profile
Ditto what KP said
In other words, one should just make their own?
Mark
Mark B