Honda CB750 Sandcast

Correct finish on exhaust sheilds

oldhemi · 10 · 3864

oldhemi

• View Profile
What the hell is the finish on these sheilds?
Hi-temp paint brushed on?
Some sort of anodizing?

What is the sheild metal? They do rust when nicked. Bad quality stainless?
Anybody restored them to their satisfaction?
Is there a diffence in them and the later shiny chrome units?

Lots of questions and very few answers. But I will get better.

736cc

• View Profile
Dull earl heat shields are cadmiun silver plated steel, a process not commonly available anymore due to being extremely toxic. Dull chrome, which is regular chrome w/o the polishing final step, a near exact duplicate. Or do-it-yourself the frugal way: ;) scuff VERY thoroughly w/ scotchbrite and lighter fluid a common shiny chrome shield, then brush on dull aluminun paint. If you can draw a straight line, you won't have to re-do the black areas. Looks like the real deal, although the dull aluminun paint tends to rub off a bit if you handle the parts. Shiny shields look so gaudy in comparison. How do owners of later CB750's live with things like shiny heat shields, quiet pipes, tanks w/o wrinkles, long chainguards, finned oil filter covers, rolled front fenders, 48 T sprockets, pipes w/ lettering, etc, is beyond me.
Repops available from Japan, we are in process of ordering goodies from there and we can get a CLUB DISCOUNT on unstamped pipes, gauge covers, dull heat shields, etc if we order together. Anybody want in on this? Keep posted and be an active part of this club and bulletin board.

oldhemi

• View Profile
Doh, Cadium plating, I did not even think about that process. I live in Houston - the toxic fume and dump of the USA. If the process is still being done, I'm sure that stuff is being done here if anywhere in the states. I'll check it out. I have a spare set of dull sheilds that have some rust but no nicks I can use. My good set look perfect. Actually I think my 2nd set look as good as the set that just sold on ebay for $179.50

Thanks for the po'boy method of paint.

IMHO, the later 750's are chopper or cafe fodder.

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Will I be abble to get the un-numbered pipes far into the future? I intend on doing the egine and body work + paint first. I'm sure I'll miss out on any group discound by then. I really would like to get the un-numbered pipes later when I can afford them.

elisent

• View Profile
Oldhemi, My last batch of Cad parts were plated in Houston. Texas is one of the few states that still Cad plate by the pound. Much cheaper than chrome. So your kids have 3 eyes... Isn't it worth it so that I can get cheap cad. Eli

oldhemi

• View Profile
You got Houston kerrect, Eli. Texxas is sort like Jersy- Everything is legl until you get caught- but here everything bad is "grandfathered" or you can bye "credits" for when your company had a bad day - and you got caught.
I started looking into this deal last night and there are a whole bunch of places. Some look like they will work with individuals and some look to be strictly large scale.
Do you remember the name or location of the plater you used and where you happy with the results?

Steve, I have not dug out those sheilds yet, but $750 is a big motivator.

elisent

• View Profile
I'll try to find the company name for you. I have to look through old reciepts. I used them about 10 years ago to replate nuts and bolts. Larger more important Cad items I get done locally albiet more expensive. When I do Indian Restos all the correct bolts ,washers and nuts are available as kits now with the correct head bolt thickness, markings, already plated and stronger. It makes no sense using original hardware unless bolts have special hardness markings. Like 8 japanese bolts,HD CP bolts and Indian NS bolts. CP bolts are now reproed. Indian late model NS bolts were used on brakes as pinch bolts and handle bar bolts. These were some of the first hardened bolts. I found a bunch at an old vacuum repair store. Seems they were used in old Hoover Vacuums. Very rare these days. Eli

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Al Landry "Guest"

Hi Andy(736cc), I may be interested in the repro silver heat shields.Do You have any more information on them? thanks Al

736cc

• View Profile
Larry, the dealer(s) from Japan do not answer our emails lately. We got some response initially around New Years but much lost in translation. Maybe they misinterp[erted our requests "we want your smooth pipe and black knobs with wrinkles on ducktail"