Honda CB750 Sandcast

Red Dot or Blue/Green Dot on Engine

Wayne · 47 · 24640

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have started this thread as there seems to be a lot of theory's and general interst on the Red or Blue/Green dots found on some engine. This thread may not seem sequential at first as I am moving other posts on this topic to this thread. Please post any questions, theory's or information on these Dots in this thread only.
[size=

Joe K

• View Profile
Perhaps in Wayne's case, where the dot was blue/green and the bike red, was an exception.  I cannot answer for mine, because the dot was missing.  I do think my bike was blue/green though because the underside of the wrinkle tank was blue/green and I think it is original.  Who else can chime in on the color of the dot vs. the color of the bike if they know for sure what the original color was. 

Joe K.

Riccardo

• View Profile
I have elaborated and read many theories about the DOT.

Sincerely not believe that the sticher it was glue on the engines that had been repaired, also because Honda, habitually, made 3 perforations on the engineplate of the repaired motors or that they had had an action of callback.

I think that the color was really of identification of the final color of the motion, destined perhaps to two different assembly lines, one  for the blue color bikes and one for the red color bike.

True being could also that the dealers they changed the dress of the dikes in order to please the customers who preferred the red bikesmotion, in fact i think that, even if today the blue appeals to a lot, in '69 perhaps age the red color more was wished.

This determined the bike with the DOT of contrasting color.

In fact I have seen more bikee red with the blu dot that not the contrary.

I agree that the dot white does not exist, is simply decolorated from the heat or the benzine or the chemicals for the washing.

I could be mistaken.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile

True being could also that the dealers they changed the dress of the dikes in order to please the customers who preferred the red bikesmotion, in fact i think that, even if today the blue appeals to a lot, in '69 perhaps age the red color more was wished.

This determined the bike with the DOT of contrasting color.

Riccardo are you saying that a dealer may have changed the painted items from a red bike to a blue bike? If they have both bikes there that does not make sense to me.  ??? ??? Why not just give the customer the one he wants? If you are saying they may have brought the painted items in through the parts dept. and installed them, that would be an expensive option. Lastly, if they painted the bikes there would be evidence of the original color somewhere. In my case that is a negative. It has original candy red everywhere. I think the jury is still out on this one.
[size=

Riccardo

• View Profile
Waine i not refer to the repaint of the bike.
I think that the dealers had in stock also the other colour and when a client  was asking for a diferrent colour and they not had the bike in stock, they change all parts to satisfy the client.
This can generate the non match dot colour vs/colour bike.
It's only an opinion.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My opinion (and it's only that as I really don't know) is that the dot was placed on the engines after assembly but before they were fitted into a bike. Probably to identify what color the bike should be. The Sandies only came in 2 colors and this could be the reason we don't see other dot colors. What was assembled first, front end with motor or front end without motor. I think it was more to do with the headlight ear assembly. My view would be that the tank, sidecovers and headlight would have been close to the final parts fitted so the assumption is the dot was to identify what headlight ears had to be installed given the forks needed to be fitted prior to those later parts.
My other thoughts is that Honda abandoned the idea as they probably just needed to build them turn about, thus the dot became a redundant assembly line indicator. Just an opinion
Probably many other theories. We need an assembly line worker to sort this question out.
Calling all 1969 Honda CB750 assembly line workers  8) KP
Yabba Dabba KP

cb7504

• View Profile
KP:
    Your thought process is probably more correct than not as Honda was unsure at the time as to how the CB750 would sell thus the sand cast casings (cheaper) instead of die casting them (tooling = expensive). Honda wanted the market to accept their product so attention to detail was a pretty big factor, dots for color coding was probably one of the details. My two takes on the dot is: 1. ( dot relevant) for tacking purposes to keep the two production colors as even as possible.  2. (dot not relevant) produce the most popular color as per customer demand or readily available.  As production progressed Honda had difficulty in keeping up with the demand. During this time some of the smaller details were probably by passed along with Honda changing over to tooling for the die cast casings. As in any business main objective was to get them off the assembly line, out the door and sold.  My thoughts Marty K.

markb

• View Profile
It seems I have to agree that my "white" dot was probably most likely red (the original bike color).  So should it be restored?  Have any members done this?  Any suggestions on how to do this? 

Riccardo had mentioned on my 97 thread that maybe someone could contact Bob Jameson to see if he could shed light on this mystery.  I know who he is but this seems like a great idea for someone who actually knows him to contact him.

Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I want to have the Dot on my restored bike but I don't want a Blue bike!  :( Darn, these details are going to make me gray!

Seriously though. If anyone's Dot is showing better than what Mark and I have posted some pictures would be nice. It would be nice to get an idea of the shades used in the Red or Blue/Green Dots.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:40:47 pm by Wayne »
[size=

Riccardo

• View Profile
Waine,
please, post the exact size in millimeters.
I'll try to do a repro.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved

Joe K

• View Profile
Wanye,

Just put a red dot on your engine and paint the bike red like you want.  I don't think anybody could ever find out if the bike was blue by tracking the VIN.  Except for all of us sandcast enthusiasts!  : )

Joe K.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wanye,

Just put a red dot on your engine and paint the bike red like you want.  I don't think anybody could ever find out if the bike was blue by tracking the VIN.  Except for all of us sandcast enthusiasts!  : )

Joe K.

ahhh, but Joe. No one has convinced me yet that the bike ever was Blue.  :) The original owner says Red, the painted items all show evidence of Red. I may have to track down the old Dealer owner and see if he remembers selling this bike. I don't imagine he sold many, if any more. It was a small town Dealer. Couls be it came from the Factory with a Blue Dot, Red paint.
[size=

Riccardo

• View Profile
Joe and Wayne,
Should be beautiful to find the main file of the production line:
Vin/engine no./colour/delivery date.
In this way we can have a very real Vin directory to know or to do pure bikes.
But this is a Dream, as our Honda.
So called DREAM
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Waine,
please, post the exact size in millimeters.
I'll try to do a repro.

Riccardo
I'm going to say 19 mm.
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Riccardo,
I would be interested in one too.  Mine is probably the same as Wayne's but I'll measure mine tonight.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)