Honda CB750 Sandcast

Red Dot or Blue/Green Dot on Engine

Wayne · 47 · 24576

Riccardo

• View Profile
Nooooo, I cannot believe to this.
I truly am astonished.
Are two years that we all break off the head on the red or blue dot.
And now?
We find it on the carburetors!
To this point we need Only a time machine in order to back in 1969.
And if the previous owner  has moved it on the carburetors because it did not appeal  it on the engine??Where we will find the next time to it?
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

mrhonda2u

• View Profile
I have just purchased Sandcast #3034 With a little over 5,000 original miles. The bike has a blue sticker with red paint.  This was owned by someone that was deeply involed in woodstock in1969 and the bike was at woodstock.

Riccardo

• View Profile
Hi,

post the photo of the bike please,  we want the emotion like you.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

tomcourtney

• View Profile
First let me state i dont know.... but could it be the different assembly plant as in the link below, it says that the Hamamatsu and the siatama plants were converted for the CB750 model in 1969 Maybe? TC

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.fazermotos.com.ar/historia/Honda-750-Four.htm&usg=ALkJrhjxUfPmeqiojb-nzAWLeKn1Sgp0Fw
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

Garry32

• View Profile
Hi This is my blue dot from my cases it is directly under the air box number 40:: unrestored sandcast
 :)

DW69K0

• View Profile
Gary-
I have a blue dot in the exact location on unmolested E1685. Like yours, mine has good color. Is your Sandcast candy blue green?
DW

Garry32

• View Profile
Hi DW yes it was candy blue green blue green, But when I bought the sandcast the seller had put candy red tin ware on as they where in better condition. I am just in the process of buying the caddy blue items if
 He will part with them.
Garry :)

4pots1969

• View Profile
Hello everyone,  Here is a K0 with a frame number 1020280, dated January 1970 imported from the USA and it has a green pellet glued on carburetors...I thought it might be interesting

4pots1969

• View Profile
Why not have indicated the colors by a red dot, a blue dot, and a yellow dot?? We have never seen these points of color on the French bikes...  Very dubious on this theory...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:16:40 am by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i would suggest the color of the dot might be immaterial.  i would suggest the dot meant the motorcycle passed a final inspection, after the bike came off the assembly line.  i would suggest the dot indicated the motorcycle could be put in a crate, ready to be shipped from the factory.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
in an earlier post, someone suggested the dot might indicate which factory the bike originated from.  this could be a plausible theory.

who knows how many factories produced the CB750 in 1969 ?

so far, we have identified 2 colors for these dots ?

and, we have identified motorcycles that have no sign of ever having a dot ?

DW69K0

• View Profile
My personal belief is that the dots were place on the bike as an indicator of a problem that was found during testing that needed additional corrections during quality checks before leaving the factory. I don't have any specific information to back up my theory, but I do own two Sandcasts with blue dots close to the top casting date.
DW

DW69K0

• View Profile
Hi This is my blue dot from my cases it is directly under the air box number 40:: unrestored sandcast
 :)

The engine dot topic is still intriguing and mysterious.

Friday night I received a new Sandcast from CA, and during examination and documention process yesterday I discovered another Blue Engine Dot. The blue engine dot is on a Ruby red bike. This now make three engines in my possession that contain the blue dots at different Vin ranges in the exact location as Gary's photograph shows in his earlier post.
I am fully convinced that these were not placed on every engine and had to specifically call out a process or were used to bring attention to some feature or issue during assembly.
The dots are definitely made from a very hardy material as the dot survives well in the location and retains good colors after almost 50 years of environmental exposure.
My theory still stands that the dots indicated an issue during inspection, but I don't have any evidence or facts to back it up. Maybe we will will learn more as time passes, this seems to be lingering as another Sandcast mystery.

Best,
DW