Honda CB750 Sandcast

Dealer Recalls

736cc · 9 · 5945

736cc

• View Profile
How many different parts got recalled or upgraded by Honda w/ the 1969/70 motorcycles? Some parts were aggressively recalled w/ bulletins to dealers (thin throttle cables) and other bits simply upgraded on the assembly line (double and single cut front fender). My sandcast engine #E1002608 has 3 punch marks alongside the engine #'s. Anybody have a factory bulletin explaining these marks? I recall something about dealers doing this as a recall "checklist".

elisent

• View Profile
If Honda was like other motorcycle companies, less aggresive recalls would come under factory to dealer "service shots" along with the more public ones. Having these are invaluable to "correct" restorations. These are the most accurate factory printed material. Are the punch marks like the later hex case marks?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Chris Rushton "Guest"

One of my bikes (E- 1005192) also has three punch marks (they are just simple "centre- punch" dots) next to the engine number. The only reference to the use of such marks that I have found is in an American Honda Service Bulletin, number 15 of 16th March 1970. This bulletin covers the replacement under warranty of the throttle valves / cables on machines up to frame number 1017342, and the rear wheel dampers on machines up to frame number 1016997. It requires that after replacement of the rear wheel dampers, that three centre-punch marks are made on the rear wheel flange just outboard of the driven sprocket. Is it perhaps the case that the marks were actually placed next to the engine for some reason (easier to see than on the rear wheel flange where oil, etc, could obscure them)? or is there some other warranty repair which marks near the engine number denote. Unfortunately, I cannot be sure whether the damper rubbers have actually been changed on my bike, but there are definately no punch marks on the rear wheel flange, only next to the engine number.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've been working away so wasn't able to check on the three punch marks on one of my motors. I came home for the weekend and remembered Andy's topic and of course checked. Sure enough, 3 punch marks next to the engine #. I remember reading about the cables and tops for the carbs as mentioned by Chris, and also some other recall items. I also thought I read somewhere that a recall check was made of the chain or sprocket and that some changes were made??? Interestingly my engine, which is a low #, came with a metal chain guard and I know this must have been added at some later time, maybe by the previous owner. I'm sure the mystery will be solved soon KP  :-\
Yabba Dabba KP

chrisnoel

• View Profile
So is it correct to put your bike back to the way it was when new? Or is it better to realize that you have those punch marks and you should keep the recall replaced items the way they are.

I have no punch marks on either engine so many of my parts are original. Excluding the ones that were taken off by owners anyways. Funny thing is my bike has evidence of front end damage, but the majority of the front end is original. The instrument bodys were broken so the lenses were replaced and wide bezel rings siliconed over the tops. The head light and brackets were replaced. But the front + rear cut edge fender, forks and wheel appear to be original. Something must have smashed my bikes head light and guages but not the lower part of the fron end.

City Boy

• View Profile
Hi gang.I have a K0 owned since new in April of 70.The only items recalled for my machine were the cable and carb parts and the final driven rubbers.However,due to the early rusting of the ex. mufflers,a new set of pipes was given to me the following year as part of a Canadian Honda Motor goodwill program.   Rock On

1941wld

• View Profile
My new bike #E 3604 has the the center punch marks on the serial number boss. Happy to know why now.

Best regards,
1941wld

tomcourtney

• View Profile
yes the three centre pop marks near the engine number were to indicate that the chain and sprocket recal was done as per an American Honda service bullitin TC
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

tomcourtney

• View Profile
there was a dealer recal August 13 1971 to all owners of pre k1 motorcycles for modified rear wheel dampers, modified clutch springs, 17 tooth drive sprocket, and drive chain modifcation or replacement with the use of a riveted master link
this is outlined in service bulletin no 32 aug 9 1971
once completed three centre pop marks were made in the lhs of the enging number pad to identify bikes that had been modified. TC
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956