Honda CB750 Sandcast

MAKING THOSE MUFFLER CROSS OVERS TO LINE-UP

1941wld

• View Profile
Here is my way of making the cross overs line up. On my new set of lotus Root exhaust pipes the cross over piping does not lineup perfectly. How to fix this. First you have to remove the rare muffler support bolt in order to get the muffler cross over pipes. Then remove the rubber band clamp.  I found that 3/4" copper tubing fit pretty nicely inside the passageway and if you want a good tight fit you can take the copper tubing slip it over a 1/2" DOA. shaft and hammer on it while rotating it. The tubing will expand to exactly the o.d. you are looking for. Slip the tubing in the bottom muffler and mark it. Flip it over and slip it into the upper muffler and check the mark. They should be about the same. So double the marked length and cut the tubing. If you use a tube cutter, slip the cut piece back on to the 1/2 dia. shaft and beat out the rolled-in cut edge just to make the inside smooth. Slip the cut tube into the lower muffler, slip the rubber band joint over the copper tubing and on to the chrome muffler cross over tube. Then slip the upper muffler over the copper tubing and into the rubber band joint. Tighten the rubber band clamp, install the rear muffler support bolt and you are finished. I've seen my dad do this on many muffler repairs he did, back when there were real mechanics and not these remove and replace guys. It used to be "fix what you got and save that buck". Of course dad had a lathe and and a endless stock of stainless steel. Seems like everthing was better if it was made out of stainless steel for dad. He was born in 1912 and died in 07 so I know he saw a lot of rot and rust and didn't like either. He could fix everything but a broken heart and if I sat in his lap long enough even that got a little better. A buddy of mine showed me this little trick last year and I remembered my dad doing this type of alinement. I hope this might help someone get it perfect.

markb

• View Profile
Nice tip!
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)