Honda CB750 Sandcast

Oil Seals

Wayne · 6 · 2898

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have to order some oil seals amongst other things pretty soon. I see that DSS as well as Yamiya both offer "kits" that have all oil seals required in them. Anyone have experience with seals from either place? I have to order other other items from both places so no issue there. I know out there in the big bad aftermarket industry you can get from good, to bad and almost anything in between. Just trying to mitigate as much risk as possbile as I prepare to assemble the bottom end of my engine.  :)
[size=

markb

• View Profile
I used the Yamiya kit for my last project.  No problems.  You could probably pay less though.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Riccardo

• View Profile
There're kits and kits.

I've used old kits but i've had problems with the seal of the sproket axle.

All the seals are available by Honda and, with my experience, this is the best choice for me.

Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

markb

• View Profile
The Yamiya kit was only engine seals.  Riccardo is right, it's hard to beat OEM.  I've used Honda seals and never had problems either.  Hmmm, I wonder if that's where Yamiya gets them.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kind of where I was coming from. Having worked in the auto industry for more years than I like to count. I got a real eye opener when I started working on the "inside" and seeing what the impact was to the product due to aftermarket parts not meeting spec. I remember harmonic balancer oil seals cutting grooves on the balancer seal surface. Analysis showed too much tension on the seal surface and inadequate lubrication for the seal. Root cause = Aftermarket Part did not meet spec. What did the aftermarket guys do? hehe They made a ring you could drive on the balancer sold you yet another seal and told you the people who engineered your car didn't know what they were talking about!  ??? All they had to do in the first place is buy a seal that met spec but so many people won't buy OEM. I think I answered my own question on this one. I'll put together my parts number list for my Honda Seals.
[size=

slyguy

• View Profile
Kind of where I was coming from. Having worked in the auto industry for more years than I like to count. I got a real eye opener when I started working on the "inside" and seeing what the impact was to the product due to aftermarket parts not meeting spec. I remember harmonic balancer oil seals cutting grooves on the balancer seal surface. Analysis showed too much tension on the seal surface and inadequate lubrication for the seal. Root cause = Aftermarket Part did not meet spec. What did the aftermarket guys do? hehe They made a ring you could drive on the balancer sold you yet another seal and told you the people who engineered your car didn't know what they were talking about!  ??? All they had to do in the first place is buy a seal that met spec but so many people won't buy OEM. I think I answered my own question on this one. I'll put together my parts number list for my Honda Seals.
Absolutely 100% correct! It's rampant ......
bone stock 4/70-103xxxx