Honda CB750 Sandcast

Repair of recessed ignition switch

Guest · 3 · 1570

Tony Wohlers

Just want to say here that I've had my ignition for repair at Chris Noel, who is also a member of this club, and for those who do not know it, I'll just say he's pretty good at wake up these old ressed ignition's up from the dead. "
Tony.
 :D

ashimotok0

• View Profile
They are quite easy to repair. The main problem is the brass contacts fixed into the plastic back piece get extremely hot due to corrosion causing excessive contact resistance and the contact sinking into the plastic. These can be drilled out and replaced with another contact (I machined one from a brass 'cheese head' screw). Alternatively, you could possibly use the back from a CB350K ignition switch (I do have one somewhere - I will measure it up to make sure). The yellow Zinc  chromate-passivated steel housing is quite easy to replate, if you suitably seal off the non plated parts and the chrome key access part. The chrome part is a different matter as it is 'pot-metal' like the indicators and early alloy gas cap, which pits badly (welll in does in UK weather!) the steel part is staked onto this alloy part and I dare say they could be separated and then screwed together but its a difficult part to have re-chromed. I did not go this far as my chromed parts cleaned up OK. the connector cleans up OK but again the CB250 parts are the same I think. I am fairly sure you can get the crimp contacts, not so sure on the brown circular plastic housing.  the U shaped moving contacts look the same as the CB550K to me but there again, I will measure and post my findings on here.

Or you could use the guy you are suggesting, obviously he does a good job. Personally, I like to tackle as much restoration as I can myself plus the fact I am a Yorkshireman!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

AshD
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:26:43 pm by ashimotok0 »

cb7504

• View Profile
 Chris Noel has reworked several of my recessed ignition switches and I will say he does excellent work. Marty K.