Honda CB750 Sandcast

refinishing plastic chain guard/inner fender

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Al Landry "Guest"

Hi, Can anyone give me some helpful hints on removing scratches from the plastic chain guard and rear inner fender.Is there a good product to remove scratches?Should they be buffed with a buffer or done by hand? thanks Al Landry

736cc

• View Profile
Rub it down by hand w/ Mothers Mag and Aluminun Polish or any automotive compound or polish. You can even use toothpaste if needed. Rule of thumb as to scratches: if you can feel them w/ your fingernail, they cannot be removed w/ polishing. However, polishing will make it nice and shiny, hiding light scratches. Detailers can make anything work (paste wax, turtle wax, polish, compound, glaze etc) because they know the most important ingredient is elbow grease.   ;)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by cnoel "Guest"

I got some good results on my inner fender by wet sanding first with 1000 and soapy water. I also used the polishing compouns by hand and I used a very soft rag type wheel to finish it. Firm wheels will burn the plasic. This method also worked wonders for my signal lenses. When polishing by hand I like to put the rag on the table and bear down on it with the work I'm holding.

My chain guard needed repairs so I painted it. The Krylon plastic paint does not work by the way.