Honda CB750 Sandcast

Ducktail Seat, SMART Repair

kettle738

• View Profile

Hi All, I have a very presentable K0 Ducktail seat with an area of damage at the front left corner, that has been the subject of  a less than brilliant previous repair, but the seat is too good to re cover...yet.  I know there are now SMART (Small Medium Area Repair Technique) repairs available for classic vinyl seats, mainly aimed at cars that use a coloured vinyl paste which is applied, heated, imprinted with the pattern of the surrounding vinyl and can be made all but invisible by a good operator. I have attempted to add a couple of photos, hopefully it will work.

I've seen such a repair on a Kawasaki H2 seat, in a very obvious position, and in all honesty I would never have spotted it, if the owner had not pointed out a microscopic blemish. The downside is the risk involved; the same guy had a repair done by the same SMART operator on a GT750 seat using the same method and the repairer held the heat gun on the area slightly too long and burnt the surrounding vinyl, ruining the seat.

I want to take the least risk possible; has anyone in the UK had such a repair done who could recommend an experienced repairer, or know of any other type of repair available?

Mick...........kettle738

Riccardo

• View Profile
Hi,
this was my inner and external seat cover repair.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved