Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast paint restoration

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by Vince Ciotte "Guest"

I've got a cherry 1969 CB750, and need to resore the paint on the gas tank and dog ears. I'm terrified of shipping these parts to just anyone for painting (bothcing?), and my local guys here in Santa Fe might not do the perfect job they need to. Anyone recommend a shop for re-painting to match the original metallic red paint?

Thx!

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by 736cc Andy "Guest"

Leave it original, classic motorcycles are MUCH cooler that way (and desirable), warts and all. I would only restore a paint-job if the original paint has been painted over. Maybe get a 2nd set of bodywork to paint and throw it on your bike. Then you'll notice how OTHER parts will need refinishing to match the fresh paint (nuts and bolts plating, spokes, gauges, seat, engine covers, chrome etc) . You'll also start worrying about scratching it, getting it dirty, riding thru puddles, leaky carbs, sun-fading, messy chain, fingerprints, odometer showing miles. Been there, done that. Get another sandcast or K0 to restore, its actually an ez bike to restore in my opinion, as long as you do most the work yourself.