Honda CB750 Sandcast

Thin Lip Alternator Cover Opportunity

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
PROGRESS REPORT

As you recall there was talk some time back about converting late thick lip alternator covers to the early thin lip.  (As we know, the thin lip was used until around engine vin 11xx)

Marty Kitner loaned his thin lip cover to Mark McGrew www.m3racing.com as an example for Mark to determine what would be involved with converting the later cover to an early cover.

Mark has the machine program pretty much written.  Essentially all that awaits to begin the project is setup on the first cover and inspect the results.

How many of you guys want your cover converted ?

Respond here so we can get an idea.

Once we have an idea of the number, then we can go to Mark and get a price.   I am told the conversion will not be inexpensive. 

I have no idea of cost for conversion.  Getting a cover converted by Mark will probably be an "either you're in or you're out" one time opportunity.

For those who may not have a cover, if i recall correctly, i believe Mark said he had some spare covers, otherwise it might be good if you can supply a core for the conversion.

cb7504

• View Profile
Steve:
        Count me in for one (1) cover, I'll supply my own core. Marty K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I'm in for 1 cover and i'll have a core.

We'll track the number of interested parties on this thread.

Thanks again Marty, for loaning your cover to Mark for this project !

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll have 2 and I'll supply the cores KP
Yabba Dabba KP

kmb69

• View Profile
I want 2 depending on the price and can supply the cores.

I am assuming he will be surface milling these on a CNC based on the comment "machine program pretty much written". Probably be a good idea to find Mark a junk cover for a setup part and get a first article inspection to be sure Mark gets it right. Sorry, did not read Steve's posting thoroughly. I own a machine shop and know that surface milling requires good core, good geometry, good setup, and good G-code. Since these are castings, there will probably be some variation in them and the profiled surface may not blend exactly to the original core. I have not measured any to see how much variation may exist. Could possibly require a little hand blending.

Thanks Marty for having the faith in McGrew to make this happen. There's no way in hell I would send McGrew or anybody else for that matter either of my 2 originals for such an endeavor.

Keith
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:50:40 pm by kmb69 »

cb7504

• View Profile
kmb69:
         Some times faith is what the world needs. Enjoy and have a nice day. Marty K.

nmbr12

• View Profile
    Mark+Wayne, Thanx for the heads up/happy to say my covers  is perfect!   Tim-Nmbr 12

Riccardo

• View Profile
I'm interested in 1 or 2 but, if possible, i would know the cost with and without the replacement of a mine cover.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

mrmumm

• View Profile
Mark McGrew here, let me... let all know at same time. I am not sure that machining these covers can be done to the exact standard that you members want. This is a very tricky job, but it might look or seem a simple task. My son when he looked at it, said, why don"t you just hand grind these things as there will be some hand work involved at end of machining anyway? He might be right. Also, no one yet has told me what they will pay for these covers and as this is a limited market what will I be able to sell?

It works like this, I will have hours and hours of set up time and then run time to test (wreck) a few beat up covers I have here, but to get a nice finished cover, customers need to send me nice covers to start with... as you don't want to have a thin lip profile on a cover that has deep scratches in it or cannot be polished back to OEM finish...correct?

And now if I do one cover the cost would be 1000 dollars, 4-5 prob 350-400, 10-15 200-250.00..so you can see that there is an "economy of scale" at work here.

anyone with interest, better form a line... so I can see if this is even worth it.

Mark

M3 Racing USA

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Thanks, Mark.  Appreciate your post !

All who are interested in having a cover conversion, let's "sign up" so we can get an idea of how many conversions there could be !

markb

• View Profile
I would do one, maybe two.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mark M,
At $200 to $250 I'm good for 2 guaranteed. So fellas,we need at least 10 starters to make this work out at a reasonable price.  :P
I've got good covers so no issue for me with those
PS. If I need to get 3 covers then I'll get a third but really only need 2 "guaranteed" KP
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:51:46 am by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

cb7504

• View Profile
Mark Mc:
           I'll up my anti by one (1) for a total of two (2). I will supply the cores. Marty K. 

mrmumm

• View Profile
Good start, let's find some more buyers...

Mark @ M3 Racing