Honda CB750 Sandcast

Thin Lip Alternator Cover Opportunity

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fellas
We need to get this project off the ground. Mark is saying he needs 10 to get this price to around $200
So far we have
Steve x 1
Mark x 1 Maybe 2
Marty x 2
Riccardo x 1 Maybe 2
KP x 2
Keith Possible x 2
So we have 7 for sure and possibles at 4

Can we just get everybody to confirm.
Mark M, some have asked for cost of a cover from your stock. Got an estimate
Thanks guys
KP

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:27:34 am by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

markb

• View Profile
I will for sure do one.  If I can find another decent cover I would do two.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Reading (between the lines of) Mark McGrew's post from the past, he expresses concern milling/machining will not be able to make an exact duplicate of the thin lip's contours seen on early covers.  His son said, "Why don"t you just hand grind these things as there will be some hand work involved at end of machining anyway?"  

What Mark's son is suggesting (my interpretation of his comment) is:  Instead of machining off the material to make a thick lip cover a thin lip, hand grind the thick lip to a thin lip.  

In other words, after a late cover is machined to have a thin lip, hand work will still be required to give the original appearance of a thin lip.

Machining the thin lip to the exact appearance of original may likely not be possible, because the cutting tool will not have the contour of the radius/radii of the thin lip to exactly produce original thin lip appearance.  

In my limited first hand machining knowledge/experience, the ability to re-produce the exact contour of the lip, the contour is created by the shape of the cutting tool available for making the cuts.  The ability to make the lip contour exactly like original is limited by the shape of the cutting tool available to be used to make the cut.  If I'm reading things right, Keith Byers expresses a similar concern/consideration in his post.

My E254 engine did not have an early cover.  I removed the material by hand, but only on the upper portion in the visible 10 o'clock area.  I considered removing the material on the rest of the cover's periphery, but did not, in hopes I might find a thin lip cover........  some day.  These covers are rare, as we all know.  Probably, at some future date, as time permits, I'll wind up removing my cover to remove by hand the material of the thick lip to make it look like a thin lip.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As I say, I'm up for 2 guaranteed KP
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:06:12 pm by kp »
Yabba Dabba KP

markb

• View Profile
Instead of machining off the material to make a thick lip cover a thin lip, hand grind the thick lip to a thin lip. 

In other words, after a late cover is machined to have a thin lip, hand work will still be required to give the original appearance of a thin lip.

I agree that machining it won't be perfect and that hand work will have to be done.  But, I think that machining it close is not only going to save a lot of work it's going to make a better product.  Just my opinion.
Mark
Mark B

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Agreed !  I wrote what i wrote, because i'm not sure what other interested party's expecations of the machined product would/could be.  Would be good to hear from Mark McGrew to know the status of the project.  Sounds like we may still have at least 7 "for sures" and maybe another 4 "possibles."

kmb69

• View Profile
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but McGrew came up in a conversation tonight and it made me wonder if Marty ever got his cover back?????

markb

• View Profile
I agree.  I'm still in if this project is a go.  Any updates?
Mark B

cb7504

• View Profile
Hi all:
       Yes Mark McGrew is still in possession of my thin lipped cover. I am (along with others) hoping the modified covers will be made available. The bike the cover was removed from is next in line to be restored with-in six to eight months from now. I like to restore the engine first as it helps keep me motivated to finish the smaller tedious items (frame, wheels, etc. Marty K.     

kmb69

• View Profile
I may be sticking my neck way out here but a couple of weeks ago, I ordered a high end 5-axis machining center for my personal shop. Delivery is expected in 4-5 months as it was special ordered with 5-axis simultaneous capability. Many so called "5-axis machines" are really 4-axis simultaneous with 5th axis positioning. This one is the real deal and I am kinda excited about it.

Anyway, in the event that McGrew doesn't come through in a timely manner, and I know it's only been a little over a year now, this could be one of the first projects that we try to make happen.

Keith

cb7504

• View Profile
Keith:
       If you decide to do the project good on you. I would guess from your earlier posting you already have several thin lipped covers to use as a pattern. I would be good for two (2) covers and if you need cores i can supply them also. Marty K.