Honda CB750 Sandcast

Recessed Ignition Switch - cream/white plug

vnz00 · 8 · 3722

vnz00

• View Profile
Hi guys,
Looks like things have been a little quiet here lately.  Here's a post to get us thinking ;)

I bought a recessed ignition switch which came with it's original two keys. The keys have the plugs but they are not black. The plastic is an off white cream colour.

The keys also don't look like the usual T series plain keys. The keys I have are shaped like T's but have the old style Honda wing logo on it with Tec in large letters.

While I'm on the topic- does anyone know what the origin is of the H series key number and recessed ignition switch?  I have a H series recessed switch with a H key (quite small, no plug). The switch looks similar to our switches but the body is slightly different.

I'll post some photos tonight of both sets.

Regards,
Steven.

vnz00

• View Profile
Here are the pics - first one is the cream coloured plug,  the second two are the H series recessed ignition switch.
Regards,
Steven.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:21:02 am by vnz00 »

Riccardo

• View Profile
Hi Steven,

i had not seen the cream plug until now.

Probably the switch comes from another Honda model, z50 or another similar minibike, probably from another oriental country.

In those country some parts was in production (in the early release) for many years but with some local modification.

The keys with the old wing logo is located in the times 1960 ...1967 or early.

Without doubt, the key with old wing is very fashion.

A big match with the cream plug!!!

Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve
The key is the same as you see with red plug keys and has a Tec logo. These are obviously early style keys and were fitted to bikes prior to the early fours. Unusual find.
Yabba Dabba KP

cb7504

• View Profile
If memory serves me right the light colored plug off white/cream were pretty common on the smaller cc Honda's (100-250) used in other Asian countries Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand etc: time frame mid-60's. Marty K. 

1941wld

• View Profile

vnz00

• View Profile
Thanks for the info guys.

I just wanted to know some history behind it. Might be that it was the first model of plug key ignition produced by Tec released for other honda markets, then was adopted for smaller capacity bikes in the USA, as well as the cb750 in 69, but with black plug key.

I have seen recessed switches from smaller capacity bikes with the same early key but with black plug. These have been in the USA. 

Hi Conrad, The cream plug in question is the plug on the key itself.

Regards,
Steven.

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Old topic I know but I had to chime in on the H-code recessed thing.  They are from smaller cc 1969 Honda's.  I believe 175cc to be specific but not all 175's had the H code on one of them, just one of them.  Just my observation as I found one on a model like this and have seen a couple come up for sale from sellers that had no reason to miss lead.  They didn't know what a recessed was in the first place.  The H code recessed have plastic housing on the back vs. the metal ours have and the threads are a few threads shorter for the lock ring.  If you try to put one on a sandcast you'll run out of threads or have to leave off the original washers to make it work.