Honda CB750 Sandcast

K0 Camshaft - How do I know?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by SV "Guest"

Hi All,

I am currently rebuiliding an engine. I wanted to know how I can tell if a camshaft is Sandcast/K0 or not.

I know there is a cast number on the camshaft, but does this relate to the series?

Is there a way other than this cast letter/number (mine says R3 by the way), that it can be identified. The only other way I can imagine is by taking measurements of the cam lobes and comparing to factory literature.

Oh, and the camshaft has a correct #8 bolt on the end of it if this helps.

thanks, any help would be appreciated.
SV

736cc

• View Profile

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by SV "Guest"

thanks andy.

any idea of what the r3 relates to then? I always thought the K0 and K1 had the same cam, and it was changed when the pipes changed to 341's. please correct me if im wrong.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Posted by John "Guest"

SV, Part # for Sandcast Cam 14101-300-020, this from parts book printed July 1969. In parts book printed February 1971 for K0 & K1 same part # listed. For K2, K3, K4 & K5 factory parts manual, same part listed, so doubt there were any changes to the profile of all cams up to K5 at least.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

Don R

• View Profile
  I'm sure this has been covered but in case it hasn't the R number is the casting not the grind. As time went by they made more blanks and the R numbers went higher. An R1 could be early or late cam casting but an R7 would only be a later casting since they made the r7 blank as production went up.

Can anyone tell me if R1 for sure was the only sandcast cam core or did they also use R2 or R3? I assume R1 is a safe choice but I don't seem to have one. One seemed to say R1 but it is an R1 looking core number on an F2 cam.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:10:03 pm by Don R »

Don R

• View Profile
 Yamiya has an R3 cam advertised for sandcast engines. I found a note somewhere here that said up to R4 may be correct.