Honda CB750 Sandcast

Triple Tree and Frame Paint Considerations for a Sandcast 750

gonzobrian

• View Profile
I am about to the point I am ready to paint my frame and triple tree ,for my Sandcast 750, and have a few questions I hope to get some input on.  It seems like the triple tree has maybe a flat finish on the top and gloss/semi gloss on the bottom.  Is this correct?  What paint have others used?  I have read that when you paint aluminum you need to use self etching primmer.  Is this correct.  I have bead blaster my triple tree to remove all the old paint.  So far I am leaning towards using Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black.  Has anyone used this?  For the frame should I use gloss, high gloss, etc?  Sorry for all the questions but wanted to get as correct a finish as possible.  Thanks for any input.

greenjeans

• View Profile
I would think the the triple and the frame are the same colors.  I don't think they'd do a gloss/flat finish on the same parts.  It is probably that the top tree is aluminum, and the bottom is steel.  The top see more sun and maybe just faded a bit to look  "flat".    From the research I've done, it seems that the frame color should be a little more than a semi-gloss.   Definitely not a high gloss finish, but not semi-gloss.  Maybe  80-90% gloss.   

When painting aluminum, I always use an etching type primer.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You guys need to go and look through the posts on this site. You will find the answers you seek. Look under chassis or maybe other topics ;)
Yabba Dabba KP