Honda CB750 Sandcast

Here we go!

gjc754 · 2 · 18317

gjc754

• View Profile
#315 status....
Frame ready to be stripped of paint and prepared for a fresh paint job.
I will post photos very soon. The first observation upon inspection is just how "crude" the welding was back in 69'. Structurally sound of course but comparing a later frame to 315 and the advancement is clearly evident. When I was talking to my painter he said "mate I'll clean it up and smooth the welds out for you", I freaked out and said "no mate leave it just as it is". I will be sodablasting the frame and repainting it with normal paint. I have pondered about powdercoating it but feel it should be as close to original as possable. If anyone has an opinion regarding which paint method I should use by all means please comment.
The motor! It has been stripped down, the cases sodablasted and the engine covers polished. All internal seals replaced with new ones. As for the bore, again I wanted original specs so my engineer made me new sleeves, I purchased standard pistons and rings and the motor was rebuilt. Anything that could be replaced internally was.
That is where I am at now, from now on I will post photos of all work as I go. In my next installment I will post photos of the motor and frame as described above.
As for parts I will advise you all now on what I still need that I can think of just in case any of you can help me out. I need a centerstand, oil filter cover (if need be I can get one from yamiya) and rear guard and left mounting horn (Steve advised me that I can get one from another bike, I forgot which bike he said, I will ask him). I am sure there is more but that will do for now.
Sorry guys for the plain Jane text and lack of photos, I will improve!!!
Take care guys.....Later

markb

• View Profile
I'm looking forward to watching your progress.  I hope I'll learn something along the way too.  Good thinking on the frame.  I used a single stage polyurethane paint on my frames.  Not original of course but I think it looks close.  Good luck. 
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)