Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast Project Bike - Colorado *SOLD*

lencamp1

• View Profile
I recently acquired a sandcast K0, serial number 1007414. It had been parked in a barn since 1971 and has 7714 total miles on it. It is in rolling chassis condition with the engine in basket case condition. I have come to the conclusion that a proper restoration may be over my head, both technically and financially. That being said, I'm now exploring the possibility of selling my K0. If you or anyone you know, might be interested in purchasing this bike, please let me know. I will provide photos of everything I have. I would also be interested in trading for a running, later CB750.

Thanks,

Len
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:02:51 pm by lencamp1 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Your listing vin 7414, is this the frame vin ?  

If so, what is the engine vin ?  

If 7414 is the engine vin, then what is the frame vin ?  

How many screws are fixing the clutch cover to the crankcases ?

Where are you located in Colorado ?  I live in Fort Collins.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
haha! Steve, I knew you would be on that one! hmmm, engine 7414 could be interesting!
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I'm just excited to know there's another sandcast in Colorado !  It would be nice to know where the bike goes, when it does sell.  Len says the frame is 7414 and the engine is 2428.  Would be great for us to see some pictures !

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Len? 

We are all interested to know more specifics about this bike.  Your either pulling our legs or you have the last sandcast ever produced.  Knowing more specifics about this bike would not only answer some topics that we have been discusing it would also help land you a buyer.  Chris. 

markb

• View Profile
Yes please, more info.  If this is accurate seems to me this is huge news.  The only thing better would be to find engine number 7414.  Unusual engine number though.  Biggest question I think, is it original?  For what it's worth I'm a little skeptical about this but I would love to be proven wrong.  Definately need pictures.
Mark       
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Very interesting, especially given the apparent difference in numbers (replacement motor maybe?).
As Mark rightly says though, the bike with MOTOR #7414 is likely to be even more of a find given that we have no idea what its frame number might be in due to the randomness with which Honda paired chassis and engine.
Pictures would indeed be great.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Len's out of town (playing with his band here in Ft. Collins this wk.end.)  He told me he will be posting pics when he gets back home.  With 7714 miles on the clock, one can only hope chassis is in pretty decent shape, assuming it's a life long Colorado bike.  From Len's first post, the eng's a basket.  Being eng's apart, makes me wonder if cases are broken or if eng suffered another demise.  If cases are in fact broken and bike's been "parked in a barn since 1971," logic could follow broken 2428 cases sitting with bike in barn since 1971, could likely be original to 7414 frame.   As everyone's said, 7414 is a frame number with a certain "ring" to it.  Certainly makes one have to wonder if E7414 still exists.  Certainly would expect frame 7414 to have a higher Evin than 2428; however, as we know, anything's possible with these sandcasts, either having occured at the factory or within the nearly 43 years since leaving the factory.

cb7504

• View Profile
Len's bike is from South Dakota and yes there is a hole in the usual place sprocket area, the color is candy blue green, no title. Marty K. 

cb7504

• View Profile
Len's bike the motor is original to the bike. Motor probably had a problem during test running, pulled, fixed and re-installed in a later frame (7414). Marty K. 

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So in trying to understand this correctly, this bike would not be the holy grail. The site states "inclusive of engine numbers CB750 1000001 to CB750 1007414. So although frame 7414 is a cool find, the holy grail would be engine 7414 in it's original frame. (number unknown??)   ???
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Yeppers on that, don't know what number would have been stamped on frame E7414 went into.  There were 7414 cases stamped to assemble engines for assembling production motorcycles (not counting the French 14xxx sandcast(s) so it would seem to follow there were 7414 frames stamped, so one would think no sandcast case set was put into a frame stamped >7414.   Parts Book is the reference typically used to determine where "sandcast," began and ended.  Although there is no reference to crank cases being "sandcast" in any period Honda literature i am aware of, it's commonly accepted the Parts Book reference to Evin 1 thru 7414 as being sandcast type cases.  None the less, very interesting frame 7414 has surfaced, especially with a 2428 Evin.  Marty's observation E2428 could have been held back from the assembly line because of some problem, then repaired and installed near the end of the run is a good one.

cb7504

• View Profile
Wayne:
         Correct in the bike not being the holy grail, close but no cigar. Len also is not sure if all the engine parts are there or not. Marty K.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Seems to me the randomness of frame / motor pairings is such that there ought to be VINs below 7414 fitted with die cast motors (see 6403/8971 in the directory assuming it to be "factory"), and sandcast motors in higher than 7414 VIN frames.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

cb7504

• View Profile
len's bike update the motor is vin CB750E-1002428 and the frame vin is CB750-1002307 not 1007414 as previously thought. The hole is in the lower case and the motor internals are pretty rusted. Marty K.