Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast Frame Label

kp · 42 · 16221

markb

• View Profile
I bought some tags so I could check them out.  Here’s a couple of pics.  The full size shot has the repro on the bottom.  You can see that is slightly shorter than the original.

The close up has the repro on the right.  You can tell that the font is slightly different especially on the o’s.

Overall it’s not bad but it’s not perfect.  The repro appears to be a little lighter print but at least it has the right thickness and feel.  I have to admit that I’m a little disappointed.  I haven’t decided if it’s good enough to go on #97 or not.  It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to have someone copy the original and print out a better copy.  But it’s certainly better than nothing.  If you look at the repro by itself it would be hard to pick out the flaws.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I would think the adhesive backed tin foil of the necessary thickness should be able to be sourced from somewhere, someone, someplace.  A sign shop ?  Manufacturer of industrial labels ?  Printing supply ?  These are just thoughts off the cuff.

Why couldn't an original label's font/wording be copied via computer and then the print transfered to the label ?

Seems like the big deal would be to obtain the propoer thickness label material with propoer sheen, etc.

Copying what's printed on on the lable using today's computer technology should be a piece of cake.  Or, at least i would think...

Mark, i can see why you're reluctant to use one of these labels on your bike.

markb

• View Profile
Why couldn't an original label's font/wording be copied via computer and then the print transfered to the label ?
That's exactly what I'm thinking.  I'm going to look into it.
Mark B

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mark. I don't think it will be difficult to find someone who will make the nameplates given you have a good sample to go by. There are lots of companies out there that do custom aluminum, stick on nameplates. I have looked at several fonts and haven't found exactly what Honda used for this plate yet. I'll keep looking. It's a narrow font, hence the "O" being fatter on the repop. They didn't quite get it bang on, ditto for the "D" and the "R". I did find a font that seemed bang on, and replacing the "O" with a zero ( 0 ) fixed the "O" problem but the "D" and the "R" remain outstanding. I'll keep looking.

I was able to reproduce exactly the font for the wiring harness part # tag. (300 - 0400) I have to order up some vinyl sheets and waterproof ink and get that out of the way. It's on my "to do" list. :)
[size=

Riccardo

• View Profile
I would think the adhesive backed tin foil of the necessary thickness should be able to be sourced from somewhere, someone, someplace.  A sign shop ?  Manufacturer of industrial labels ?  Printing supply ?  These are just thoughts off the cuff.

Seems like the big deal would be to obtain the propoer thickness label material with propoer sheen, etc.

Copying what's printed on on the lable using today's computer technology should be a piece of cake.  Or, at least i would think...

Mark, i can see why you're reluctant to use one of these labels on your bike.

I was lucky, because i used the original, good conditions with light abrasion by the clutch cable.
I dismounted the label with an hot air-phone.
I found the very tin dual face adhesive tape in a paint shop car repair.
They use this for the re-assembling of  the trim bumpers ouside the doors, after repaint.

Riccardo

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:14:45 pm by riccardo »
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

kmb69

• View Profile
Mark. I don't think it will be difficult to find someone who will make the nameplates given you have a good sample to go by. There are lots of companies out there that do custom aluminum, stick on nameplates. I have looked at several fonts and haven't found exactly what Honda used for this plate yet. I'll keep looking. It's a narrow font, hence the "O" being fatter on the repop. They didn't quite get it bang on, ditto for the "D" and the "R". I did find a font that seemed bang on, and replacing the "O" with a zero ( 0 ) fixed the "O" problem but the "D" and the "R" remain outstanding. I'll keep looking.

I am not a forensic expert but my old, tired eyes can see differences with every character. Some of it as simple as line weight differences. "T" for example is the closest one IMO, but has line weight issues. E's, F's obvious.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here you go Mark. Give these guys, or a company like them a try. You can send them a scan of your original with details. I would emphasize the importance of it being exact in every way. I'll buy one if they get it right. :)

http://www.inlandproducts.com/nameplates.htm?gclid=CPKf2qqsjrMCFe5FMgod8C4Adw
[size=

Riccardo

• View Profile
Wayne, you are MITIC!
We can do a general order if Mark sends them the original label.
I quote myself for 4 labels if they make a perfect reproduction.
Riccardo
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

benjixt

• View Profile
Hello wayne,

if we do a general order
i'm interesting in one label for my 1002749
thank you

Benji

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
    • Buy High Quality CB750 gauge parts online!
That's exactly what I'm thinking.  I'm going to look into it.

It costs more time to reproduce the original fonts than find a font that's quit similar. In my opinion, for real repops it's not acceptable. That's the reason that I designed every figure separately for my face plates to achieve the best repop. I am a detail freak and this reproduction hurts my eyes.

gonzobrian

• View Profile
Here is a scalable version that SoRon on the Single Over-Head Cam 4 Forums  made up for me.  The font seems dead on to me. 

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
For those who can't open PhotoShop files here's what gonzobrian posted. IMHO this still doesn't hit mark. (no pun intended) Like I said previously. An original label copied and sent to a company that does custom self adhesive labels should get us what we are looking for.  :)

[size=

markb

• View Profile
Thanks Wayne.  This one actually looks pretty good to me.  The commas and the A's were what I noticed.  I think I could run that one.  But I am going to bring my tag to a local shop and see what they can do.  If they can't do it I'm going to check out your recommendation.
Mark B

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The leg of the "R" needs to have the curl coming to a point as well. Damn, we're a fussy bunch!! ;)
[size=

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes we are fussy Wayne but would we have it any other way. Certainly not with you and Mark amongst us  ;)  I give you 10/10 for the R point so keep it up.
As for reproducing decals/labels or whatever each country refers to them as, I was instrumental in reproducing original GTHO labels in the mid 70s here in Oz and the fellow I was in partnership with was a printer and he used to photographically reproduce the image and do a print from an original. They were 100% and I mean 100% accurate. At that time there were very limited products available to the printing industry as base material so a vinyl decal was based on a 3M product hence the copying was easy. The thick alloy film used in 1969 by Honda is just one element but the printing of an exact copy I would expect to be as simple as it was in the mid 70s
I have sent some very hard to find decals/labels to reproduction decals in Canada and they have come back 100% accurate to the original sent so maybe that is a project for someone Unfortunately I don't have an original else I would do it in an instant
KP
Yabba Dabba KP