Honda CB750 Sandcast

Old member from France

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Phil, Thanks for thos photographs and the link to the story of the CR750. I would ask if the owners of those unique bikes could send me some complete photographs so I migh post them into the gallery, or better still on their own page
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

philcad750

• View Profile
Hi KP, all the pics have been sent by one member of the Club. I've asked him to sent me more photographs of his sandcast bikes. I've also asked him to join the SOOC. You know, he has been a famous GP pilot in the years 70/80. And he's still a great pilot. His name is Guy Bertin. If you want to see him in action on a race track on his racing CB750 (built by himself from a CB750 K2), take a moment and have a look to this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o5n_Pc-BT0#

Impressive no ? All the other motorcycles in the video are racing GP motorcycles. The last but one he passes is a Yamaha OW31...

I also asked to others members to send me photographs of their 'french sandcasts'.

Can you please move the posts regarding this topic to the new topic 'french sandcasts' ? Thks.

benjixt

• View Profile
hello Philippe
welcome on the SOOC
it's fantastic forum where you can learn many info about the sandcast

i've meet you in monthlery in "les coupe moto légende" 10 years ago
next time when you come in south of france you are welcome..

benjixt

• View Profile
Phil, Sure hope to hear more from you about the French sandcasts !  Would be very nice to hear from the owners of these sandcasts and see pictures !  I'll send Wayne an email, asking him to create a topic titled "French Sandcasts" in the General Category section.

Dear ALL,
My Father got in 03/70 a cb750 brand new in candy ruby red in the range  1014XXX with sandcast case ( unfortunately we haven't got photo where  we can see in detail the crankcase.
but i confirm to you this info
regard

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Phil, Sure hope to hear more from you about the French sandcasts !  Would be very nice to hear from the owners of these sandcasts and see pictures !  I'll send Wayne an email, asking him to create a topic titled "French Sandcasts" in the General Category section.

Dear ALL,
My Father got in 03/70 a cb750 brand new in candy ruby red in the range  1014XXX with sandcast case ( unfortunately we haven't got photo where  we can see in detail the crankcase.
but i confirm to you this info
regard

Could be this bike  Benjxt. PM me the actual VIN and I will confirm :o KP

Yabba Dabba KP

benjixt

• View Profile
Hello KP
i Know this french cb750 sandcast the owner try to sold her few year ago 
 it's not the cb of my DAD

3 months after his purchase in 06/70 he broke the chain who broke the crankcase  honda has  change under waranty he give it new cases but  it was a diecast unstamped engine number

he sold the cb in 71 to a man who crash the motorbike in the le mans track!
and he buy a used cb750 1970 a goldie from 08/70 with VIN 103.... (in diecast )

but thanks for your help
ps:
i'll try to scan all the documents about the first sandcast arrived in france ( magazines)

philcad750

• View Profile
Steve, is it possible to move the previous discussions regarding the 'french sandcasts' to the new topic created by Wayne ?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great video Phil.  Really enjoyed watching it  ;D KP
Yabba Dabba KP

tomcourtney

• View Profile
Hi Welcome Phill, And Thankyou for your very interesting post,
about 20 years ago i had a phone call from a gentleman from near Wagga Wagga country New South Wales telling me that he had a Sandcast in the 1014xxx range and i said to him, it couldn't be as they finished
at  10074xx, He got very angry with me about this and and finished the call.... So who knows there may be one in Australia too, i only spoke to him the once and dismissed it as a mistaken id of a Sandcast....

On another point i once owned a CB750 from 1969 it's vin and engine was CB750-1007489 CB750E-1007548 i bought it from the second owner who told me that it was sold New in Melbourne Victoria by a Honda dealler who could not get any bikes from Honda Australia and bought a number of new CB750's in France in their winter and had them air freighted to Australia and sold them at a very high price in our summer.
I spoke to the original owner of this Diecast bike and he told me it came from France New with some others and confirmed the story... It was still fitted with a KPH speedo, he was still embarrased about how much he paid for it and would not tell me the price he paid, i told him not to worry as we are paying lots more today than whatever he had paid. Best Regards Tom
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

Riccardo

• View Profile

However, french dealers and other dealers in Europe I guess, have received these early bikes (one per dealer) for demo purpose. I personally know one of this sandcast bike in France, given to Michel Rougerie (the pilot who won the first new Bol d'Or race in 69) by JAPAUTO (a famous dealer in Paris). The engine number is 1000313. The frame was interesting because we can see a steering damper fixation above the horn. The steering damper has finally never been installed by Honda on the CB750s.[/color]

Maurizio, what you did!   :-\ :-\ :-\
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

Riccardo

• View Profile

I've been lucky when I bought my CB750 25 years ago. It was a sandcast model from October 69 - frame #3769 motor #3869. This bike was certainly one of the first 300 CB750 sent in France by Honda Corp in 1969.  I didn't restore it, just done a new paint. The original color was candy red, but I wanted it candy gold.    

Phil, the Gold is a great color, with gold stripes is Very Cool, i love it and i reserved it for my 4th cb750(low vin but diecast).

You're re-welcome.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

Somer

• View Profile
This was extremely interesting! I have come across blank replacement cases before. This make sense about them using up inventory to meet demand. No manufacturer is going to tell them "They'll have to wait".

I got to know Bob Hanson years ago and he told me some interesting tales about how it came about.

When I've got time I'll write up my memories. I last saw him in San Diego a year ago. He was frail but remebered me.

johnboy

• View Profile
I read that the Dutch CB 750 is from 103****, but thats not thru (I now that the books tell so !) but...................................
, i own a origanal CB 750 (origanal Dutch papers) with a much lower number !
With matching numbers.
I also own a CB 750 with vin 1009***, matching numbers (but thats not a Dutch bike of origan, its importet from the states to the Netherlands  ;D).