Honda CB750 Sandcast

RH handlebar control switch questions.

greenjeans

• View Profile
My local Honda dealer has a 69 in the 300 range.  It was restored about 9 years ago using NOS parts.  There are a few parts that I noticed that aren't correct.  Still a beauty.

However, he also has an un-restored diecast in the 30000 range.   

They both have the throttle with the 4 cables.   However, the sandcast has an adjuster of some sort in the space where a push/pull cable (like the later ones) would go.  It almost looks like the knurled screw on the side of the carb bodies.

The dicast bike has a set crew in there (almost looks like the one you'd find on the clutch) with a nut.

Anyone have any photos of the bottom of the RH control that they could post.  My bike is in the 3000 range.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I believe the knurled screw you are referring to is a part first seen on the K1.  I imagine Honda came out with this feature because of complaints about the stiff throttle pull while holding the twist grip in a sustained open position.   This setup acts as sort of a "cruise control," keeping the throttle from snapping shut while open, but does nothing to lessen the throttle pull.  This setup can be used on earlier CB750's, by loosening the nut and removing the slotted screw, which in effect, does the same thing as the knurled screw, only less user friendly when under operation.  Using this setup, I seem to recall there is a different (longer) tensioner spring used inside the throttle housing.

greenjeans

• View Profile
Any chance that the same housing was used to accept the later style push/pull cables ?   Or is this yet another sandcast only part ?