Honda CB750 Sandcast

Ya’-mi-ya or Ya-mi’-ya

markb · 7 · 2733

markb

• View Profile
I’m sure that if you haven’t bought parts from these guys you’ve certainly heard of them.  I realize this isn’t a very important subject but I am curious how everyone else pronounces it.  Ya’-mi-ya with the accent on the first syllable like Yamaha or Ya-mi’-ya with the accent on the second syllable like Suzuki.  I’ve heard it both ways.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Joe K

• View Profile
I pronounce it Ya-mi'-ya! that was a lot of money!

Joe K.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've always pronounced it "Yam" "I" "Ya" and always end with the "Hah" (sounds a bit like Har but drop the "r") So you would say Ha and breathe out when you say the whole word. If it's a noun it would be Yamiya Hah. The breathing out tends to lengthen the H  maybe best to describe as "HHHah". And to emphasize that you might add 2 Hah's ie Yamiya HHHah (pause) HHHah. If you are speaking in the 1st person then it is Yamiya San for example "that fellow/man/person Yamiya San ". And try and use the vernacular like a person from Japan would. Very difficult I know but you speak it from the throat. The sound would be something like having a pubic hair stuck in back of throat. And the reply would be "Woy" (like boy) So Mark would ask "will I get that item from Yamiya Hah the reply would be Woy. Again the vernacular changes within regions. We have Woy Oy some even grunt. My $2 worth KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
yuh-my-uh.  (can't help it, i butcher languages, pronounce the way it looks.   

however, i can still speak some very perfect accent German, after taking 4yrs college German.  :) :) :) :) :)

markb

• View Profile
I've always pronounced it "Yam" "I" "Ya" and always end with the "Hah" (sounds a bit like Har but drop the "r") So you would say Ha and breathe out when you say the whole word. If it's a noun it would be Yamiya Hah. The breathing out tends to lengthen the H  maybe best to describe as "HHHah". And to emphasize that you might add 2 Hah's ie Yamiya HHHah (pause) HHHah. If you are speaking in the 1st person then it is Yamiya San for example "that fellow/man/person Yamiya San ". And try and use the vernacular like a person from Japan would. Very difficult I know but you speak it from the throat. The sound would be something like having a pubic hair stuck in back of throat. And the reply would be "Woy" (like boy) So Mark would ask "will I get that item from Yamiya Hah the reply would be Woy. Again the vernacular changes within regions. We have Woy Oy some even grunt. My $2 worth KP
I just spit coffee all over my screen!  ;D ;D ;D
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just spit coffee all over my screen!  ;D ;D ;D

:D :D :D Thought that might tickle somebody's fancy  8)
Who's up for the German version  :o KP
Yabba Dabba KP