Honda CB750 Sandcast

Gauge face restoration - a good or a bad idea?

txmudman

• View Profile
My gauge faces suffer from the typical bubbling and fading. Will it decrease the value of the bike if I have new gauge faces put on the bike? Everything is original, and I'm not sure how collectors look at opening up, or refacing gauges. Advice appreciated.

Someone in Italy is selling some very nice reproduction faces on ebay.

Thanks.

Carl

736cc

• View Profile
Taking gauges apart to restore them is in same category as taking anything else apart on a restored bike. Its a good thing (as long as you don't mess it up). The early gauges are very ez to take apart. If you roll back the odometer to "0", just tell new owner you did so. If you leave odometer alone, thats ok, too. When apart, you can clean inside of lense and polish the clear plastic. If you have a couple sets of gauges, you can mix and match the best parts. The repop faces require a tricky decal installation and look a little phony.
Nice gauges are what you want on a nice bike.

elisent

• View Profile
I spent alot of time trying to restore old faces. My opinion is if you are working with an unrestored bike ,put up with the little original time caused defects. If the bike is a restoration go for the repops , but keep the original faces. I've never used the repops so I would go with Andys review. He knows more than I've forgotten about 750s. Eli

txmudman

• View Profile