Honda CB750 Sandcast

ducktail seat

dougd · 4 · 5652

dougd

• View Profile
When did Honda switch from the "ducktail" style seat to the later "flat" style?

What type seat should #3412 have?

Who makes replacement foam and seat covers for the "ducktail" seats?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ducktail seats went for the whole production run of the K0. There are 2 styles. Early ducktail which were in the first few hundred or so sandcasts. These are flatter that the later style and also have a slightly different base than the later style. The later style, which are a little fatter at the back section, would be correct for your VIN. You can get repos from David Silver spares which are as close to the original as the moon is to my backyard. The other alternative is to get a repop from Japan but these are not cheap. Nevertheless they are a lot closer than the ones with the plastic base.
Go to www.yamiya750.com/ for a repop seat. You can always get one off ebay for $1k +++. You can also get a good auto trimmer to make a new foam up which works if you have a cover in good order. Either way, no real cheap alternatives unless you find one at Grandma's house
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

736cc

• View Profile
The most cost-effective way to get a ducktail seat is to buy a whole K0 bike that has a good one. Really, you can usually get a halfway decent K0 for 2 or 3 grand and theres lots of other bits to play with.

dougd

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies. I now know what to look for. My seat has the original pan, trim and strap, but the foam and cover have been replaced with the later "flat" style. I guess I'll have to decide whether to belly up and buy a replacement set of foam and cover from Japan (and take out a second mortgage) or look for an original. Either way, the help is appreciated.
Doug