Honda CB750 Sandcast

Does anyone have a good/clear photo of the underside of the front fender ?

greenjeans

• View Profile
I'm looking for a good/clear photo of the underside of the "double-cut" front fender - both end, front and back.

Also, if you have one, a photo of the speedometer cable guide on the fender stay.

It may be my overactive imagination, but the cut edges of my fender don't quite look accurate enough for my tastes.   How were these cut at the factory ?   Shear ?  By hand ?

On the plus side, it doesn't have the punched hole for the cable guide on it and doesn't show signs of it ever being there (ie filled and re-chromed)

Thanks in advance.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
KP has done alot of research on front fender types.  Seems, i recall, there are pictures somewhere in the BB.  I'm going with sheared in a press operation for the front/rear edges.  Can you provide pics of your edges so we can see what is concerning ?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
send me some pics and I'll let you know. Can't see an original bike like this which has no cable guide having a fake fender KP
Yabba Dabba KP

greenjeans

• View Profile
Thanks - that's the thread I was looking for.  I didn't remember it was comparing the stock vs repop fender.    That makes me feel a lot better about my fender now.

Anybody know how these were cut ?  Looks like they were sheared or cut by hand first, then rolled and formed ?   My cut still does not appear to be a perfect radius - human element ?

I'll post up some photos of mine this evening and see what yo guys think.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Quiz Time  ;D They were cut flat and then rolled ....................... now how do I know that  :o Get the brains working now
Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Quiz Time  ;D They were cut flat and then rolled ....................... now how do I know that  :o Get the brains working now

Well, I have never seen one but here's a guess. If it's cut flat then the "roll" would be open at the ends. If were cut after rolling, the shears would crimp the "roll' closed while cutting through it.  ??? ??? ???
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Because the edges don't line up on the inside?  :D
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

greenjeans

• View Profile
Here are some photos for mine.   No punched hole for a cable guide so that's good.  Nothing about the cut edges really looks perfect - again, human element?

Do you guys see anything that puts up a red flag ?  I have no real reason to doubt its authenticity - if it's a fake, it was faked a long time ago.  

As for the quiz - I'm guessing that they start as a flat sheet, then the edges are rolled over - almost looks like they are rolled over some sort of wire to keep a consistent radius ??   If the edges were then cut -(by a shear/die or by hand - I wish I knew)  I guess you'd get some deformation of that rolled edge when the fender was pressed/stamped ??

I'm stumped, but I guess that's my guess.

Here's the photos of my fender:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:22:45 pm by greenjeans »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Because the edges don't line up on the inside?  :D
Give the man in the straw hat a box of chocolates  :D
Yabba Dabba KP