Honda CB750 Sandcast

locking gas cap

jphprec

• View Profile
hello, i have a locking gas cap on my 1970 tank is this an option or were they all this way on later tanks....thanks jim

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The double action latch started being used on the K1.  The single action latch ended being used on sandcast/K0 models.  I don't know anything about when the actual locking latch was used.  Pretty certain no sandcast/K0 came off the assembly line with a locking latch.  I've seen new replacement tanks in their factory box fitted with this locking latch.  Otherwise, i imagine this locking latch was an accessory from Honda... ?  Perhaps aftermarket manufacturers produced them also... ?

jphprec

• View Profile
as far as i know this is the orignial tank, i will ask the orignial owner more about this bike in the spring when he returns from wintering in fla.. it does use the same key as the ignition.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The locking latches i am familliar with did not require use of the Honda key.  The locking latches i am familar with could be opened using any appropriately spade shaped tool, e.g., flat bladed screwdriver, any key.

jphprec

• View Profile
you might be right, as i only tried the ignition key just assuming thats how it worked, i will double check when the i get the bike back from the shop. 

sandcastdoctor

• View Profile
The locking latch was a safety recall done way back in the mid '70s. The government said in a collision, there was a possibility of the rider hitting the standard latch with their knee, chest etc. and cause the cap to open, spilling fuel and causing a fire. I always thought they were hard enough to open on purpose, let along by accident. I remember sitting in the alley of the Honda dealership I worked at then, in shorts and t-shirt, doing one, after another, after another, all day, for weeks, doing every model with that style cap.

jphprec

• View Profile