Honda CB750 Sandcast

air box brackets

dougd · 7 · 2338

dougd

• View Profile
I noticed that the air box on my K0 #3412 has smaller brackets where it is mounted to the bike's frame. I'm talking about the L-shaped brackets between the top of the air box and the frame. Mine are much smaller than several I have seen pictured on ebay items for sale. Anyone else notice this? Anyone know when they switched to the larger brackets?

chrisnoel

• View Profile
I've seen one other box with early brackets go for sale on e-bay. The thing was painted black and didn't get much attention. I should have bid to win but I wasn't shoping for a box at the time. In any case.... If the bike is a rider I'd get a later or after market box on it to avoid cracking that one. Seems to me that box is perhaps too early for your bike but I don't think my parts list has that change listed.

dougd

• View Profile
chrisnoel
Thanks for the reply. At first, I thought something was missing. But the more I looked, the more I was convinced they were correct.
You referred to a parts list that gives change dates for components. Is this something you made up or is it available somewhere? I have more questions on components on my bike, and the list you refer to may be the answer I've been looking for.

736cc

• View Profile
Early airbox brackets smaller and used 2 screws instead of 3 per side.
Is your horn mounted on left side of frame?

allandry

• View Profile
Hi, Sounds like,yes you have a early two hole bracket and I beleive it is correct for your serial number. Al

dougd

• View Profile
736cc
Yes, my bike has the early horn mount, too.

736cc

• View Profile
The Honda CB750 Parts List (green book) is what you need; it diagrams every single part, nut, bolt and shows serial number of factory changes. Book went thru several editions with a 1970 issue showing more info than a rare June 1969 edition. The CB750 went thru hundreds of changes; some subtle, some major. The earliest serial numbered bikes are so cool and have all the rare parts. I consider a left side horn CB750 my favorite gerneration.