Honda CB750 Sandcast

rechroming of rims

jphprec · 10 · 4330

jphprec

• View Profile
looking into having my rims rechromed, getting prices of $300.00 per rim, seams like alot or have chroming prices gone up that much since i last had items chromed maybe 15 years ago. maybe just better off buying new rims? does this price seam correct.   thanks Jim

markb

• View Profile
I happened to run accross this post while making another post.  I just got a quote on rechroming some rims, $325 each.  Probably is high but if have you have early rounded rims with the original DID logo on it you probably don't have much choice.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

jphprec

• View Profile
yes it does have those early rims, but have since decided too keep it untouched as i can since it is an all original bike. maybe some day.thanks Jim

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
    • Buy High Quality CB750 gauge parts online!
That's pricy. I ship my parts to Poland for chrome plating. Poland still has low labor costs. I pay about 50 euros/rim for rechroming.
They currently work on about 100 kgs of parts which costs me 3200 euros.

Prospect

• View Profile
That's pricy. I ship my parts to Poland for chrome plating. Poland still has low labor costs. I pay about 50 euros/rim for rechroming.
They currently work on about 100 kgs of parts which costs me 3200 euros.

Do you have contact info for them?  What's the quality of the chrome? 
Vin 256/106

CB750faces.com (Lecram)

• View Profile
    • Buy High Quality CB750 gauge parts online!
The quality is pretty good, but not top notch. Comparable with the quality of the factory chroming. It's this company: http://www.manex.lo.pl/

The chroming of my 1973 K2 is done by a Dutch company here nearby and with high quality, better than original. Expensive, but not so expensive as I read here. a rim costs about 90-100 euros.

Prospect

• View Profile

chrisnoel

• View Profile
So far the only parts re-chromed on my Sandcast are the rims.  Had the plate shop copper plate and polish until the rust pits were gone then scuff up the copper to look like original before chrome.  He did a perfect job and didn't go too far.  It was like asking an artist to smear his wet paint on the canvas but with a little convincing he understood the result I was after.

When I send him the fenders it'll be the same as I'd like to have the belt sander marks on the rear fender forward of the grommet hole back as well.  I also notice some slight marks on the front fender in the crotch of the rolled edges along the sides.  Still debating if I'll ask for those back as they are slight.  Might be enough to push a man over the edge too.   

1941wld

• View Profile
I send all my chrome work to Browns Plating. My rims on the CL77 were $315 each, but they are perfect. If you want your chrome perfect send it to Browns. They do great work.

jkp2240

• View Profile
I will second Browns!
Ron Brown did my sandcast rims and fenders and they look great!
John