Honda CB750 Sandcast

Re: Caswells tank liner removal

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i don't recall removal of caswells epoxy tank liner being discussed on the forum.  and a search for any such info i cannot find if it has been discussed on the forum.

i have a steel tank where someone did shit for prep if they even prepped at all, as the caswells has let loose and now  is in essence a clear, thin, brittle "bag" inside the tank.  i broke out what fragments i could and have it soaking in mek to no avail.  somewhere i got it in m brain methylene chloride removes caswells, so i have a gallon of the stuff on it's way to my man cave. 

fwiw, the liner fragments have flakes of rust  impregnated in the caswells and when i rub my finger on the inside surface of the tank, i can feel it knocking off rust flakes and my finger tip comes out rusty red.

i've spent the last couple days surfing the 'net looking for info on what is used to remove caswells and all i find is out-gassing blather of keyboard commando's.

now as i am writing this, it "seems" i am recalling perhaps maybe i might of actually contacted caswells and that's perhaps where i got the idea the chemical used is methylene chloride.

my question is: "does anyone have experience removing caswells epoxy tank liner?"

on a side note, reading http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,275.msg1498.html#msg1498 smeone asked what removes old dried varnished gasoline from a gas tank.  Zip-Strip Paint Remover or at least it used to.  i guess Zip-Strip no longer has methylene chloride as one of its active ingredients and it was several years ago i used Zip-Strip to remove a 3/4" layer of rock hard dried gas from the tank that was on 2157.  dried gas immediately turns to goo when hit by Zip-Strip or at least the Zip-Strip from i used around 10 years ago.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Just had the same problem. The tank is from a CBX1000 that was lined when it was painted maybe 10 years back. I don’t know what the liner was, but it started to lift a couple of years back. Everyone wants to blame the ethanol we have in fuel these days, and maybe that is the reason, though I do wonder if inadequate preparation could well be the problem.
 I bought a UK product called “sealeater” which allegedly removes all tank liners….
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fertan-Fuel-Tank-Sealant-Epoxy-Resin-Remover-1-Litre-SEALEATER/262495192437?epid=13008016677&hash=item3d1deec575:g:7mMAAOSwbYZXa-4o
In my case I wanted not to have to re-paint (and of course anything capable of removing epoxy tank liners will kill paintwork – even the vapour will damage paint). Half a day masking the tank using adhesive backed silver foil (similar to that used to seal double glazed window units here) and thick plastic sheet did the trick. I did use maybe 4 layers of plastic and probably 10 layers of adhesive foil around the filler neck and petcock spigot. So the sealeater was poured in and left for 24 hours, with the tank moved every hour or so to allow the liquid to cover the various areas on the inside of the tank. The cap was fitted and the petcock spigot plugged so that the vapour was contained within the tank.
When the tank was emptied, quite a lot of the old sealant came out in smallish pieces, but not all – especially on the center “hump” within the tank. The problem appears to be that you cannot immerse all of inside surfaces of the tank when you are using only 1 litre of sealeater (CBX tank is approx.. 20 litres capacity.
Maybe I needed to leave the sealeater in for longer, maybe I needed to buy several lots of sealeater.
I’m my case, my attempts to remove all of the old liner have not been successful so far, though the paint on the tank has survived undamaged. From what I can see, about 75% of the old liner is gone.
I will use a tank de-rusting solution next to remove surface rust from the mostly now visible metal areas inside the tank, sutface rust being the reason for the fitment of the liner previously.
I will probably re-fit the tank for next season and see if anymore sealant breaks free – previously the old liner came away in largish pieces, and the CBX does have a fine mesh filter inside the tank.
Not sure the above helps you Steve, just my experiences so far….
Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your as always thoughtful posts and your experience dealing with the sealer you have in your tank.  i suspect "Fertan" tank sealer is a product used in Europe, so wonder what made in america product would be same or similar.  i also note, unfortunately, Fertan is not sipped to usa.  so....  i wonder what the active ingredients Fertan in UK is made up of......  doing a quick google search, Fertan in usa is a rust remover.  Chris, anything on your Fertan container give ingredients?

i've prepped and sealed around 50 tanks in my time, most of them when i worked for a local motorcycle repair shop, used different sealer products on 5-10 of my tanks.  without exception, i believe all sealer products are good.  in the case of the probably 25 sealer failures i have seen, without exception, is because inadequate prep was done prior to installing the sealer and inadequate prep is, without exception, due to lack of thoroughness and patience on the part of the individual doing the work.

This topic could entail a very long post on a number of different topics related to tank prep; i have neither the time or desire to do so. 

Despite all the garbage written on numerous websites by people who lack experience, critical thinking skills or are simply keyboard commandos off-gassing, there is no dark secret nor black magic to remove rust from a tank.  In my experience, what there is, is a number of very effective ways to remove rust from a motorcycle gas tank, i'll cover briefly at the end of this tale.

sealers such as kreem, red-kote and por-15 are all methyl ethyl ketone based and as such, mek or acetone does readily remove these liner products.

caswells is a 2 part epoxy and as such, mek will not touch it.  after i wrote the above thread, i did call caswells and they confirmed what i already at least thought correct; methylene chloride is supposed to remove caswells.  so, i ordered 1 gallon of methylene chloride which arrived yesterday and i now have fragments of caswells in a glass jar with the methylene chloride, which, after 36 hours does not appear to put much, if any, of a "dent" in softening or bringing the caswells into solution with methylene chloride.

this being said, feeling desperate that methylene choride does not seem to affect caswells, earlier today i purchased one gallon of a paint stripper product available in america, "zip-strip" (knowing it also contained methylene chloride).  like i said, i am feeling desperate, but my past experience told me it is highly effective removing rock-hard dried gas in gas tanks, so what the hay, huh?  i've used zip-strip numerous times in the past for paint removal.  reading the back of the can, the active ingredients of zip-strip are methylene chloride, methanol and mineral spirits.   subsequently, i added equal parts of zip-strip to the jar with methylene chloride and caswells fragments.  i should think 24 hours should be sufficient time to see if this brew takes caswells into solution.

well.....  this is longer than i wanted to take writing but i will share a few bits of my experience using different sealer products.

kreem:  if a tank has pinholes, kreem is what i suggest using.  semi-viscous out of the can and as it is applied, the mek will evaporate off so a thicker coat can be applied and need be is readily thinned by adding a very small amount of mek.  application of kreem is not readily affected by temperature variations, 10 or slightly more degrees (F) one way or the other will not adversely affect viscosity. dries semi-white opaque depending non how thick you apply the coat(s).  a coating of kreem can be as thick or thin as you prefer; from opaque white to white.  i have seen kreem jobs that look as good 20 years after application as if they were the day before. personally, with tanks i've applied kreem to,  i've not yet experienced failure with kreem.  never sets up hard, always has a bit of elasticity.

red-kote: other than being clear and red and slightly less viscous than kreem, otherwise seems to respond same as kreem.  leaves a clear red coat which can be made thicker with prolonged rotation, but not as readily thicker coat as kreem.  (whether kreem or red-kote, do not leave excessive pools of it on bottom of tank; drain as well as possible.  if you feel there the coat is excessive, add a small amount of mek to thin so you can pour out excess).  antique motorcycle guys swear by red-kote; they use it in 60-110 year old tanks.  i applied the stuff to my pair of 1927 gas tanks; first time i've ever used the stuff, but i followed in the footsteps of those more experienced than i who report good results.  never sets up hard, always has a bit of elasticity.

por-15: pretty runny, definitely no like water and definitely less viscous the the above two sealers.  is more sensitive to temperature variations affecting viscosity and without exception leaves a thin silvery sort of hammerloid-appearing coat.  if you have multiple small pin holes you want to seal, use por-15 at your own risk for failing to seal holes.  i used por-15 on 2157 tank, after 9 years it look as good as the day i applied it.  sets up hard.

caswells:  clear, so really dificult to see if all parts of tank are coated.  very sensitive to even 5 degree temp variations so within these temp ranges can be nearly runny as water and thick as syrup.  because caswells is a 2 part epoxy, it begins setting up within 10-20  minutes (depending on ambient temperature) and if you wait too long, the excess becomes increasingly difficult to drain out (i suspect because when the 2 parts are mixed, a sort of catalytic reaction begins).  once set up, hard as glass.  it has been 14+ years ago i applied caswells to my little yamaha tank, looks as good as the day i put it in.

what i have learned about manufacturer's prep and application instructions:  they only give the basic or general idea for tank prep; none consider severity of tank interior and other factors.  caswells instructions to "place a hand full of sheet rock screws" to remove rust is  and "to plug outlet ports with putty or Play-Doh" IS SIMPLY RIDICULOUS. actually, their advice is simply f---ing ridiculous.  otherwise, sealer manufacturer's prep and application instructions are woefully vague and woefully inadequate.

based on my experience, i firmly believe everyone of these products are excellent ONLY IF PREP IS PERFECT.  what users fail to realize when it comes to prep, there are many ways in which prep can be carried out.  I ONLY USE A LINER WHEN I BELIEVE THE INTEGRITY (STRUCTURE) OF THE TANK IS COMPROMISED.  otherwise after i have rust out, i keep bare steel.  regardless, i always keep my tanks filled with gas and in bikes i have in long term storage, i oil the inside.  mind you, i live in semi-arid conditions, so i don't have the humid conditions others must contend with.

as far as blaming ethanol gas on liner failures, myself i believe that is a convenient excuse to not account for tank prep appropriate to the needs of each particular tank.  in other words, poor tank prep causes liner failure, not ethanol gas.  i've personally seen (and heard of) many a lined tank containing ethanol gas hold up for years without a problem.

for those considering using any tank liner product, I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THOROUGH TANK PREP.  there are quite a number of different ways to prep a tank and the reason a tank needs prepped is usually because the inside of the tank is rusty.  regardless, the last thing i do before the final DRYING rinse, is i always rotate (sometimes 2, 3, 4 and even 5 cycles) the tank in an old clothes dryer i have; the tank being rotated containing twenty-five 1/2" nuts and twenty-five 9/16" nuts to dislodge anything my tank prepped may have failed to. (DO NOT use a nut larger than 9/16" !)

i will touch only briefly on rust removal and tank prep procedures i have used:

1. 3% phosphoric acid solution as comes with kreem, red-kote, por-15. 

2.  reverse electrolysis

3.  molasses

4. "wood," i.e., oxalic acid

regardless, i always do the rotate the tank with nuts in it routine.  (i used to try to shake the tank by hand and all that did was wear me out.)

when it comes to tank prep and especially installing the liner, have your step by step plan all laid out.  have effective fool proof ways to block openings.  once i am satisfied the sealer is somewhat set i open up all orifices and put a fan to the tank to help circulate air through tank.  and i check routinely to make sure any residual sealer is not pooling; again i rotate.

in closing, depending on the tank, prep, depending on approach, can take anywhere between 5 and 25 hours spread over usually no less than 3 days and up to 6 weeks.  good tank prep is tedious, time consuming and requires near if not continual attention, as well as  patience, persistence and perseverance.  good tank prep requires a well thought out step-by-step process before starting the process; especially the lining process.  pity anyone who is dealing with a lovely painted tank....... 

well.......  it's been over 2-1/2 hours the caswells has been soaking in my methylene chloride/zip-strip brew since i started writing this novel.  hard to tell if "the brew" is making a difference.  shall report back.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Any update on the Caswells test  8)

well, almost 24 hours in and appears is having an affect, however not as dramatic as i had hoped for.  large flakes are now small flakes, small flakes are brittle.  the flakes appear to perhaps be dissolving into solution i guess i just need to see what happens over a longer period of time, hopefully the krap completely dissolves as there is no way to get into the tank to break up this large brittle bag inside the tank and parts of the bag adhere firmly to the steel.  we shall see. 

ps.  just added a large flake, i'm going to let it sit with no shaking, we'll see what happens to that honker, hopefully it dissolves smaller.  pic attached.  (the tank is off my 1967 Royal Enfield Mk. 1A Interceptor; only around 800 were built.  i happen to have a undented spare tank, but it would need new chrome and paint.  The Interceptor was really ahead of its time, it had factory dual drilled discs on the front brake.  The factory sales brochure read, "Not everybody can have one.  There aren't enough to go around."  That is why the owner of an Interceptor has something special.  Something the other fellow hasn't got.")

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Don't know about the Interceptor but that sure is a beautiful backdrop  :)
Yabba Dabba KP

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve,
Sealeater which I used in my CBX tank is Dichloromethane according to the label.

From what I can tell it appears to soften the sealant in my tank (white in appearance) but not actually dissolve it. I suspect that were the tank to be brim full, and left for an extended time period, it would probably remove all of the liner. A CBX tank full of Sealeater would cost approx. £500, hence why I only tried a 1 litre initially.

Quite a novel you produced regarding sealants, etc - interesting reading.

I would absolutely agree that preparation is everything, and given the time it takes perhaps no wonder that few "professionally applied" liners actually last.
Also that lining a tank is last resort gives the numerous ways of, and products for, de-rusting of tanks.

Unfortunately the only other tank I have that has been lined is that on #302, but the when, how, why, etc is another story!

Agree with KP, stunning backdrop; perhaps one I have seen?

Chris R.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Steve,
Sealeater which I used in my CBX tank is Dichloromethane according to the label.

From what I can tell it appears to soften the sealant in my tank (white in appearance) but not actually dissolve it. I suspect that were the tank to be brim full, and left for an extended time period, it would probably remove all of the liner. A CBX tank full of Sealeater would cost approx. £500, hence why I only tried a 1 litre initially.

Quite a novel you produced regarding sealants, etc - interesting reading.

I would absolutely agree that preparation is everything, and given the time it takes perhaps no wonder that few "professionally applied" liners actually last.
Also that lining a tank is last resort gives the numerous ways of, and products for, de-rusting of tanks.

Unfortunately the only other tank I have that has been lined is that on #302, but the when, how, why, etc is another story!

Agree with KP, stunning backdrop; perhaps one I have seen?

Chris R.

Chris R.

thanks for your reply, Chris.   Dichloromethane is methylene chloride, so we're using the same stuff.  appears the caswells is    s  l  o  w  l  y  going into solution with the methylene chloride; at  the rate the caswells is going into solution, i am expecting a month at least  before the stuff might be able to be poured out. kind of the shits if the stuff won't come out without breaking it up as there is no way to get to "the bag."

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
followup report after soaking 3 weeks;  if you can find ZipStrip paint remover, that's the stuff to use, contains methylene chloride, methanol and mineral spirits.  i  tried pure methylene chloride and in the test jar didn't seem to have much affect.  so i went with ZipStrip can you can see results.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
In the 90's I worked for a company in the UK but primarily for their Rockford USA facility.
The MD (CEO)  was always buying electronic 'Gismos', as he called them, from competitors and getting me to 'reverse engineer' them.
These were electronics modulutes usually encapsulated 'potted' in black epoxy resin. My method of removal was to soak in hot THF (Tetrahydrofuran).
This completely softened the epoxy. I de-potted one unit which was so large that it's cost didn't justify the volume of epoxy resin used. When I de-potted it I was left with a handful of gravel .. they had bulked up the epoxy with it.

I have just designed the electronics for some snazzy semi-pro electro-plating tanks for Caswell Europe (now owned by MotoClassics in the UK) and obviously know the guys there well (ChrisR knows them too) .. I will ask about their thoughts on epoxy tank sealer removal.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:44:06 am by ashimotok0 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Ash, thanks for your great reply and your experience working in that industry.  looking forward to what more you share on the topic.  i am glad the caswells is all gone.  i'm sure it's a good product, i have great results in the little Yamaha tank i did at least 10 years ago, but i would need at least one compelling reason why i should use the stuff again.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
I have been working on the electronics for Caswell Europes semi-pro electroplating tanks last week and had to 'phone them to discuss this. I asked about removing 2-part epoxy sealer and got the impression that their remover is primarily for removing the older type non-epoxy type sealers, prior to using their epoxy resin sealer

I think you would need something pretty aggressive like the boiling THF (tetrahydrofuran) I mentioned earlier. Thinking back we had the electronics  module to be stripped in the reagent in a glass vessel, which was connected to a refluxer to recover the vapour. As described in the attached, which I cribbed and pieced together,  from a book on epoxy resins, any stripper will only soften the epoxy and it will particulate,. It will not fully disolve it. It ended up like crumbly Cheshire cheese when I was stripping it ... altough I understand in the USA all cheeses are just one type  ;D

...See attached for some stripping technical details plus some avialble reagents  in the USA but I don't know  if they are still available.