Honda CB750 Sandcast

Using origianl cover on refurbished pan. Anneal the tabs ?

greenjeans

• View Profile
Getting around to the seat.  The pan is solid.  The cover is also in good shape.   I've been softening it over the last couple of months with some Avon skin-so-soft and some Meguires vinyl/rubber treatment.   It actually is getting softer and much more pliable than it was originally.    Now, the foam is just shot and not usable at all.

Since the pan is solid and the cover looks good, I figured I take a chance and just get some new foam for the seat pan after I clean it up and paint it.

Not 100% sure that I want to pop for $350 new red foam from yamiya - going to see what my local upholsterer can come up with for the foam.   Anyone ever sourced red foam anywhere else than Yamiya ?

Now - my question is for the tabs that hold the cover to the pan - the sharp triangular tabs that fold over onto themselves.    I have it in my head that those need to be annealed in order to keep them from breaking when re-folding them.    Not sure where I read that, but I haven't been able to find anything directly relating to that subject.

Has anyone had success with re-covering a seat with those tabs ?    Is it as simple as heating them up and letting them cool down slowly ?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I've just straightened or moved them with needle nosed pliers, they are pretty malleable.  It would make sense if they are over bent or twisted oto heat them.  The other thing i've seen is when they are rusted, they break, not sure heating would help in the rusted condition.  i don't know about sourcing red foam.  It has to be available since Yamiya is selling it.  

Greenjeans, somehow i've managed to not 'catch' your name.....  ???  Could you post your name so we know who you are ?

pm me about the red foam.

greenjeans

• View Profile
JohnGreen   -  had a pair of green tough skins in the 3rd grade that evidently i wore all the time.  Hence, greenjeans.