Honda CB750 Sandcast

Front brake caliper differences

gonzobrian

• View Profile
Was wondering at what point the front brake caliper was changed from silver or aluminum to black?  I am restoring sandcast 5635 and currently the brake caliper is black and I’m wondering if it is correct for my serial number or if it was replaced.  Also does anyone know why Honda changed to black?  Thanks!

gonzobrian

• View Profile
Thanks for the fast response Steve.  I was kinda afraid of that.  I think about the only things not replaced on this bike was the engine, frame and carbs.

vnz00

• View Profile
just remember that there are differences in the silver calipers too - i.e. Tokico casting - there is usually a number cast beside the Tokico.  The sandcast ones I have seen up to 5528 (which Im restoring now) have always been '1'. 

The rear plate of the caliper also has a longer centre cooling fin than the later K0 silver calipers.  there also knurled allen bolts which are an early sandcast feature, but these would be smooth for the number you are restoring.

did I miss anything guys?

vnz00

• View Profile
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=713.0
KP's pics show the difference in cooling fins on this thread.  My later K0 has the later type one and is numbered 1033xxx

gonzobrian

• View Profile
Hey great info.  I will have to start looking for a correct caliper for my bike.